Augmentation and Mastopexy Fluid and High Implant 7 Weeks Post Op? (photo)

My PS performed mastopexy/augmentation on 3/20/13. He used 350 Mentor Gel implants and placed them under the muscle. My left boob is doing very well. The right breast is very high and has a very saggy appearance. I have seen my PS numerous times. He tells me the breast still has fluid and is having me wear the breast strap to force the implant down. Will the implant budge if there is fluid under the breast? Do you notice signs of capsular contracture? Double bubble?

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

Give your breasts time to heal and then re-evlauate in a few months.  The two breasts will always have some asymmetry.

You should continue to see your surgeon

+1

The sagging off the implant is not uncommon for post lift/implant surgery. You May need to have implant repositioning and lift revision,but should wait till all swelling resolved. Your surgeon can help you with revision and you should give him the opportunity to fix the it.  

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

Some degree of breast asymmetry at this point is quite common;  the most common cause of this breast asymmetry is differential breast implant “settling”. In other words,  I think your situation can be explained by a relatively high riding breast implant,  causing the breast tissue to appear to “hang” on that side.  

At this point, I would suggest that you continue the use of the strap and any displacement/massage exercises your plastic surgeon has recommended. In the event that the breast implant does not “settle” over the course of the next few months, revisionary breast surgery may be necessary.

Augmentation and Mastopexy Fluid and High Implant 7 Weeks Post Op?

+1

7 weeks still very early. Follow the advise of inferior compression and allow a 4 month to 6 month healing cycle. Than consider re doing the lift. 

Asymmetry after Implant Mastopexy

+1

Thank you for your question and detailed photos.

You certainly have a degree of asymmetry that was present very early. Assuming you were symmetrical at the end of the procedure, then it is most likely fluid. Ask your surgeon this question and whether you were sat up during the procedure as this is a common manoeuvre to ensure symmetry when upright as lying flat can be deceptive.

Drains in this procedure also minimise the chance of fluid build up (seroma). If there is still fluid, a simple ultrasound can diagnose it easily and give the option of a visually guided drainage.

You may still need a symmetry procedure when all has settled keeping in mind you are only 6 weeks after surgery.

I hope that helps and continue to see your plastic surgeon. 

Regards,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Results after 7 weeks

+1

I'm not sure about the fluid part. Yes the implants are a bit too high but it can take up to 3 months for them to drop. So hang in there and follow your surgeon's instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

I am not sure why your surgeon suspects "fluid" or exactly what that means. 

It is not uncommon for one or both implants to appear to be too high during the first few months after surgery. More often it is the handed side that is slower to settle into place. As it does,the upper pole fullness will resolve, and the implant will fill in the lower pole. This can take 3 to 6 months. 

I see nothing in these photos suggestive of capsular contracture or double bubble.Follow up with your surgeon.  All the best.