Augmentation and Lift Told to Wear Underwire Bra, Why? (photo)

I am 2 weeks post op from a lollipop lift and breast augmentation. I started out an A/B with sagging stretch-marked breasts from nursing two children. I am now a 36 D. I was told to get custom fitted for underwire bras the day after surgery...this seems like something most PS don't do.

Augmentation and Lift Told to Wear Underwire Bra, Why?

+2

If you want to know why you will have to ask your surgeon. Many of us do not have our patients use underwire bras because we use incisions in the fold for placing implants, and that type of bra may be quite uncomfortable. But with a lollipop incision that would be less of an issue. 

The underwire will be more supportive of the implants while they are healing, and they may be better if there is any concern about implant position--I certainly see no issues in the photos.

Thanks for your question and for the attached photos that were helpful in responding. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery. 

Bra use after breast surgery

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Every plastic surgeon has his/her own preference for after surgery garment use.  Long term you will want to use some type of supportive garment (bra) to help keep your breasts looking as good as they can as long as possible.  Early after surgery, however, there is great variety of when or how to use a bra so I suspect it does not make much of a difference.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Use of a Specific Bra after Breast Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

There are certainly many different ways to handle the same “situation” in the field of plastic surgery;  for the most accurate/relevant answer I would suggest that you call your plastic surgeon's office and confirm the instructions you have been given. You should feel comfortable also to ask about the rationale behind the use of the wired bra;  is there any concern about irritation of the healing incision lines?

Best to ask your surgeon about using an underwire bra

+1

There are no standards for what should or should not be done after surgery.  I do not have patients use under wire bras early because they tend to be uncomfortable and tend to irritate the scars.  I haven't found them helpful.  But that does not mean I am any more correct than your surgeon.

Best to ask your doctor.  He or she can give you the best rationale for using it.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Underwire Bra the Day After Breast Augmentation and Lollipop Lift

+1

This would not be something I would let my patient do after breast augmentation and lift.  I would call the office just to be sure.  Kenneth Hughes, MD