Is Attending an Event 2 Days After Breast Augmentation Feasible?

2 days after BA surgery I am planning to attend an important event - I will be seated the majority of the time, but will likely be receiving hugs and will be required to walk short to moderate distances. What pain level should I be prepared to have? Does this seem like a terrible idea? I am also curious about total time after surgery until you feel completely normal again? My PS says no exercising for 3 weeks....after 3 weeks will I feel normal? When will I be able to do pull-ups again post-op?

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question!

In the immediate post-op period following a breast augmentation, you may have muscle pain or complications from anesthesia such as nausea.  Pain medication, antibitoics and muscle relaxors also have side effects.  You will not have any problems walking short distances or sitting but you may be very sensitive to being squeezed.  It usually takes a patient about 1 month to get back to normal after a breast augmentation.  I do not recommend exercise for about 1 month.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Social Functions and Physical Activity

+1

For most patients attending a social activity 2 days after breast surgery is premature; however, let your body be the guide. Don't push it if your body is requiring more rest. 3-4 weeks after surgery you can generally resume light exercise, but your surgeon will guide you what that means in your case. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast aug and social gathering

+1

I personally think that going out 2 days after surgery to asocial event is not a great idea.  I think that you will be uncomfortable and tired.  It is better to take it easy for several days before going back to every day activities.

Recovery after breast aug

+1

Two days after a breast aug, I doubt that you will feel up to attending an important social event.  I usually tell my patients that the first three days are the worst -- the day after surgery is usually worse than the day of surgery.  Once the swelling starts to decrease, and you start to become more active, you will start to feel better; but I think that two days might be a little early.

In terms of the longer recovery, expect to feel uncomfortable when you are able to start working out/exercising.  It will take your body time to become accustomed to the implants -- initially you may feel awkward or feel as if they are not a part of your body.  So while yes, you will be able to exercise after 3 weeks, you may not feel "completely normal" till later.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

If the implants are placed under the muscle you will not want to do much hugging for at least a week after surgery; for an over the muscle approach you will be much less sore and will have a much quicker recovery, but probably will not want to be out for a busy social evening after only two days. 

Swelling peaks at 24-48 hours, so two days after surgery you may be at your most swollen uncomfortable time.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Return to Activity after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I recommend that my breast augmentation patients do not schedule anything of “importance” for the first  4 days after surgery. Most patients are not in the position to enjoy any event 2 days after surgery.

Your plastic surgeon will guide you in regards to exercise/return to activities after your procedure.

Attend an event 2 days after breast implants

+1

Hi,

More than half the patients I see could do that. No lifting over 10 pounds, no reaching high overhead but sitting at a banquet table and receiving hugs would be OK. No push-ups or pull-ups for 6 weeks after if the implants were placed under the muscle. It's not a good idea to drink more than a toast or take pain pills during the event. My patients find enough relief from muscle relaxers alone by the second day after surgery.  Dr Foster

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Do not add on social obligations while recovering from surgery

+1

Most women would not want to be at an important social event two days after a breast augmentation.  You will be placing unnecessary pressure on yourself and are not likely to enjoy it.  Give yourself the time and space you need for a healthy complication free recovery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Special event after breast augment

+1
I would never tell a patient not to worry about how they will feel 48 hours after surgery. It sounds like this is a pretty important occasion for you. Go and enjoy! Have the surgery a week or two later. Think about how you would explain your absence if you didn't feel well or had a complication. It would be very easy for me to say that the odds are low, but complications do happen and should not mar a special day. As for exercise, every plastic surgeon has his own postop protocol. Pull ups would be an activity that I would ask patients to refrain from for six weeks postop but you could certainly begin to exercise sooner.

Robert L. Kraft, MD