Can You Attend a Consultation when You Are 17, to Eventually Have the Procedure when You Are 18?

i understand there is an age limit to a Rhinoplasty procedure (open or closed), but is it legal to kick start the process and book and attend a consultation a few months before you turn 18? Thank you

Teen age rhinoplasty consultation

+1

Hi PhoebeC21,

It is a good idea to have a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who will give you the information necessary to make an informed decision. A parent will need to come with you. Good luck.

Dr. Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will need to have a parent with you during your consultation for Rhinoplasty, if you're under 18.

+1

This may sound like bad news, but I have found it greatly important to have family support on your side if you're considering nose job surgery.

In my practice, if parents are not on-board with the plan of the surgeon and teen, it's usually a good idea to hold off on surgery. While you're a minor, the opinion of your parents reigns supreme.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teens are usually OK for rhinoplasty by 15 for girls and 16 for boys but legally you need a parent until you are 18

+1

Physically, as long as you are past your growth spurt, you are physically ready for rhinoplasty. It is more about emotional maturity and how you approached this decision. Legally, however, for any medial treatment you need a parent's consent, even if it's just an examination. If you want to come without a parent you need writted consent from them.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Consultation at 17

+1

First there is no set age to having a consultation.  You will definitely need to come in with a parent.  A rhinoplasty can be performed in a 17 year old if you have reached adult size.

Appropriate Age for Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Hi Phoebe,

The age at which rhinoplasty can be performed has to do with the time at which nasal growth is complete.  If surgery is performed too early, the growth centers of the nose can be disturbed and the nose might not develop fully.  Nasal growth is usually complete around 16 years old, on average.  The only other necessity regarding age is that, until you are 18 years old, your parents should be involved in the cosmetic consultation and decision making process.

Rhinoplasty can be a very satisfying, but complex procedure.  Make sure that your surgeon has ample experience with both the functional and aesthetic aspects of rhinoplasty.  Good luck!

Jeremy White, MD

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Dear Phoebe, It would be best to bring your parents with you during the consulting phase so that they will be supportive of the procedure when and if you decide to have the surgery. You do have to sign HIPPA compliance forms when you come for a consulting visit and this would need to signed by your parents or guardian. During consultation for rhinoplasty patients I use a digital imaging computer which allows you to see what the proposed surgery would look like.This is an exciting appointment to see the aesthetic changes and to review hundreds of before and after photographs. I have many patients under the age of eighteen who attend consultations with their parents and the process helps the parents or guardians understand why the patient wants the proposed surgery. When they see how natural the rhinoplasty photographs look and what your proposed results are it helps set them at ease.  Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty Consultation at age 17

+1

The answer is yes. You can start the consultation process early. I recommend that you bring your parents along for the consultation. You can find out about the pros and cons of rhinplasty, the expected recovery period, possible complications and risks regarding the surgery. This way you can take your time to process all the information before finally deciding on your surgery.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS