Had 2 Attempts,5 Mos Apart at Tissue Expanders with Alloderm,both Failed Due to Infection.what Are My Chances w/ Future Surgery?

I Have Had 2 Attempts,5 Mos Apart at Tissue Expanders with Alloderm,both Failed Due to Infection.what Are my Chances at Future Surgery?

Breast reconstruction

+2

Sorry about yoru dilemma. More information would need to be gathered regarding why they became infected, but you may want to consider alternatives such as autologous tissue( using your own tissue).

Need to consider other breast reconstruction options

+2

Your situation requires more information.  Did you have radiation to the breast as well.  If plan A fails it is best not to do plan A again.   It is possible that some other type of breast reconstruction would be your best option.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand your medical condition and to help you make a good decision about moving forward.   Wish you the best of luck.

Failed tissue expander reconstruction

+2

The fact you have had two failed attempts at reconstruction certainly raises some concerns but you still have some options. Bringing in some fresh tissue from your back (latissimus dorsi skin/muscle flap) may improve your chances for a successful outcome, the trade off being a scar on your back. Get at least two opinions from experienced breast surgeons! Good luck!

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Infection with tissue expanders and Alloderm

+1

Thank you for your questions. Yes, tissue expanders and Alloderm can be associated with a known infection rate.  If you have failed the same plan twice, then make sure the next plan is not just like the first two. I cannot give you specific recommendations without having seen you or examined you but return to your doctor to see if you are a candidate for any other type of reconstruction such as the use of your own tissue. To be sure that your know all of your options, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

Breast reconstruction

+1

To discuss all the options you have we need a thorough consultation and review of all your previous medical records. Whether you had radiation or not?

then an intellegent discussion can be amde an discuss all your options.