When Can I Attempt to Suck my Abs in After a Tummy Tuck or Do Situps?

I was just curious because I'm kind of in the habit of always sucking my abs in, I just want to make sure it doesn't bother anything(9 days post Op-tummy tuck w/lipo)like my stitches on my ab muscles. Also what happens to the ab muscles when they are stitched togther, is this effect permanent after healing? After healing if one did situps does that affect the ab muscles (stitches) Will they ever reach the stage where they will be tight with or without stitches?

Working Out After Tummy Tuck

+8

After a tummy tuck, I have my patients start with light activity. Guarded exercise can start at six to eight weeks. Let discomfort be your guide.

Once the abdominal muscles heal, the result is long lasting. My father was one of the tummy tuck pioneers in the United States, and my mother had a tummy tuck forty five years ago and is still flat.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after tummy tuck

+6

You can do sit-ups after tummy tuck, though you should take a graduated approach to abdominal strengthening. The muscle repair is actually a repair of the fascia, the tissue covering the muscle, the tissue that the muscle pulls against. The repair is permanent if healed undisturbed, and you should approach exercise with care, beginning at six weeks with aerobic activities to strengthen your core before you take on muscle group strengthening such as sit-ups.

peterejohnsonmd

Abdominal exercises after tummy tuck

+5

A successful abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) should give you a relatively flat belly, but you must keep the muscle toned and in good condition to support your core.  Sucking in you abdomen is okay, but do not try to perform anything more strenuous for at least 6 weeks postop.

Walking and performing your daily activities will keep the core engaged and keep you flexible.  I use the 2, 4 6 rule with my patients:  2 weeks- walk for exercise 4 weeks- slow cardio 6 weeks- strengthening exercises.  I have my patients start there core strengthening exercise before surgery.

Emily Pollard, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise afte Tummy Tuck

+5

While I encourage walking almost immediately after tummy tuck, I caution to refrain from abdominal exercise for up to 6 weeks after surgery while the sutures are healing.  However, you should talk to your doctor to see what their recommendation is for your individual case.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Suck in your abs

+5

i hope you dont have to suck in your abdomen too much 9 days after your procedure.  that should be done for you.  i like people to wait 8 weeks before doing abdominal work

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+4
The sutures for the tightening of the abdominal wall are usually permanent. I usually do not allow my patients to do any abdominal exercises for at least 6 weeks after a tummy tuck

David L. Abramson, MD

Exercise limitations and abdominal exercises after tummy tuck

+4
I usually ask my patients to wait six to eight weeks after a tummy tuck before starting abdominal exercises. Keeping your core strong after tummy tuck is essential to achieving your best result.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Exercise after tummy tuck

+1

I advise my patients to avoid exercise for 6 weeks following tummy tuck surgery. You want to allow your body to heal before you stress it with exercise.  Walking and light exercise after 2-3 weeks should be fine, but I would avoid strenuous exercising and abdominal exercises for at least 6 weeks. But everybody heals differently, so it's best for you to check with your plastic surgeon. 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon