Considering a 6th Attempt/revision - What Things Should I Consider For Double Eyelid Surgery/

i am considering a 6th attempt/revision for the double eyelid. is it worth it? 1st surgery: non-incision; crease was gone in less than 6 months 2nd surgery: incision; crease gone in less than 6 months 3rd surgery; non-incisio; crease gone in 6 months - 1 year 4th surgery: incision: 1 side crease gone in about 6 months 5th surgery: incision: both have held but are not even what things should i consider when researching doctors? during the consultation? and is it realistic that it will work?

Revision Asian eyelid surgery

+1

You had me at, "6th attempt"

Hello Anna,

About 5% to 10% of the cases I do on Asian eyelid surgery are revisions. Some are pretty bad to begin with, some or just uneven, and so on.  In my experience surgeons can be a little conservative with revision work on Asian eyelids and there's nothing wrong with that.  If you don't have a surgeon who works on Asian eyelids all the time then revisions can be even more unpredictable.  

1.  Ask them to show you revision or uneven eyelid surgery work.  If they really do it, they have the photos to show.  Keep in mind, surgeons honor patient requests to stay anonymous and what you can see in there office is typically much more that what they can display on a website.

2.  Expect that if you revision is done that it may look quite uneven for 1 to 9 months.  If a revision looks absolutely perfect a week after surgery there tends to be a lot of changes to the scar tissue as time passes.  So be prepared to be uneven for awhile.

3.  Is it worth it?  Well, how uneven are you, what's your age, what do the photos look like.  Get a few consultations and find out.

If you're in the L.A. area William Chen, MD is your guy.  If you're in the SF Bay area, I'd see me for a consultation.  East coast is tougher for me to give you guidance.

Uneven creases take time to heal when the surgery is done for long term results.  Again, often times when a surgeon is performing a revision they get a little lost in the lack of normal anatomy and keep it simple.  The video attached doesn't directly apply to your case but it may be helpful.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post photos

+1

It would be quite interesting to see your photos.

Obviously, having 5 prior surgeries would make your surgery much less predictable in terms of outcome. I'd love to be able to assess your eyelids, the scars, the movement, etc, in person.

Also if you have the actual operation reports from the prior surgeries, that certainly would give me a better idea of what to consider or expect at the time of surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revisions, Revisions........

+1

Put very simply: "NO!"  However, the creation of a "permanent" crease is often performed using very thin, permanent sutures that meticulously involve the upper eyelid dermis, the tarsal plate and the leavator palpebrae aponeurosis.  English: The tendon (and associated structures) that pulls your upper lids North.  Consult an experienced Facial Cosmetic Surgeon who performs double eyelid surgery for a living!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon