Is It Possible to Attain Wider Set Eyes by Surgically Altering Skin at Inner Corners? (Pre-existing Epicanthal Folds)

Hello, I was curious if this would be a surgical possibility? I am a Caucasian and already have epicanthal folds, so if the skin surrounding the tear ducts could be manipulated to attain my goal, I wouldn't be too worried about the possibility of looking strange or how the shape of my eyes would subtly change. Is there soft tissue that can be added with a light hand or ways the skin at this junction could be gently connected over the tear duct (VERY slightly) to achieve more wide-set eyes?

Epicanthoplasty

+1

An epicanthoplasty should be considered very cautiously as it can leave scars that are visible, and the results are sometimes less than natura.. Photos would be quite helpful for us to evaluate the need for your specifically.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Hi Frank and thanks for your question

It is very hard to comment as there are no photos. Generally, correction of epicanthal folds correct the appearance of wide set eyes. In some cases enhancing the dorsal profile of the nose by augmentation will help. It is best that you consult with a Plastic Surgeon who can then give you the best advice upon examination.

All the best

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Epicanthic Folds

+1

Hi There and thanks for the question.

There are well recognised and relatively common procedures to correct epicanthic folds.  These will result in scars on the inner eyelids adjacent to the nose.  Combined with eyelid reduction, it will create the illusion that your eyes are wider apart however the distance between your eyes (intercanthal distance) will not change.  If you look through photos of patients who have had eyelid reduction, they do often look fresher and "wide eyed".  They do not however have wider set eyes as you have asked for. 

Good luck.

Mark Hanikeri

Mark Hanikeri, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

Interesting thought.

+1

No photo, no examination so very hard to precisely answer this question but the basic answer is that generally this is very likely to be a big mistake.  So I would be oh so careful with this.  Recognize that someone will to this for you right or wrong.