Is alarplasty sufficient to achieve results I want? (photo)

I have attached a photoshopped picture of the desirable nose that I want. All I did was reduced the nostrils and bulbous part in the center. Would these results seem achievable for me with just the alarplasty procedure? Because I'd rather not have implants of any kind in my body.

Alarplasty Only Changes Nostril Width

+2
Alarplasty will only change the width of the nostrils. To reduce the bulbous part in the middle involves the tip cartilages which is more of an open rhinoplasty technique which likely includes a cartilage graft as well..

+2
Yes the results you desire are possible but only understand healing has an active biologic phenomena vs photoshopping is a two dimensional issue...  

Alarplasty

+2
An alarplasty is performed to improve flare or nasal width.  It is possible to do this for you, but an exam in person is essential.

Alar and nostril reshaping

+2
Alarplasty refers to alar  or nostril reshaping  and can be done using various techniques. Cinching  the alar in has a secondary effect of actually widening the tip since the skin and tip cartilages bunch up . This happens if the tip tissues are not given a chance to redistribute. To demonstrate this effect, stand in front if a mirror and pinch your alar in as depicted in the photos and see what happens.

In your case, alarplasty alone may not give you the result you desire.

minor tip work will compliment the alarplasty to give a nice result. You should not require any implants . Cartilage modifying techniques or grafts may be necessary.

Kofi Boahene, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction and rhinoplasty

+2
Dear Iheartsnuffles,

• Alarplasty will only narrow the nostrils
  • If you wanted any other changes (like lifting of the tip or columella - bridge of skin between the nostrils), then you will need a little more adjusting than just the nostrils
  • You would not need to have any implants, we can use your own cartilage, if necessary
  • When you are ready, please see a rhinoplasty specialist who can help you achieve a nice result

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Possibly

+2
You need to work with a surgeon on a computer imaging device and discuss the possibilities. Remember the scar from an alarplasty is in a visible location and an unsatisfactory scar is a possibility.

Donald Kress, MD
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Is alarplasty sufficient

+2
Alarplasty, reduction of the flare of the nostril and base width of the nose, will not affect the columella. This might be all that you need, though only a careful analysis of your nose and your expectation will sort out is alar reduction alone is enough.

Will an Alar plasty alone give me the results I am looking for.

+2
  • A proper Alar plasty (Weir wedge resection) should give you the narrowing of your Alar base that you are looking to achieve. It will not significantly affect the central portion of your nose. Best wishes!

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is alarplasty sufficient to achieve results I want?

+1
  You reduced the nostrils, which is possible with an alar base reduction.  You also reduced the bulbous nature of the tip, which can only be improved with a tip plasty.  This can be done in closed fashion at the same time as the alar base reduction.