Atrial Fibrillation and Breast Reconstruction Surgery?

I am 28 year old female with a history of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. I have had 3 episodes within a year and a half. All were treated medically. Currently taking a baby aspirin every other day. Have antiarrhythmic drug and beta blocker to take if an episode occurs. Had breast augmentation surgery 6 years ago and am not happy with the results. Would it be safe for me to have surgery since most of the time my heart is in normal sinus rhythm?

Rapid heart rate

+1

I would recommend you get clearance from your cardilogist before having surgery but you should be able to have it doen. 

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Elective surgery and paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

+1

PAF is a fairly common condition, although different people have varying degrees of arrhythmia. Elective surgery can certainly be performed, however close communication between your surgeon, anesthesiologist, and cardiologist is recommended for adjustments of medications and monitoring.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Heart issue and redo breast augmentation

+1

Redo breast augmentation could certainly be done provided that you had a full medical work-up and clearance from your cardiologist. The aspirin issue would have to be worked-out, because this can cause excessive bleeding during surgery.  So your cardilogist would have to OK you stopping it prior to surgery. 

Breast Surgery WITH pat

+1

In a patient like you,I would probably recommend having your surgery in a hospital setting as opposed to an office operating suite.  The surgery would be coordinated between your plastic surgeon, the anesthesiologist and your cardiologist.  Taking those factors into consideration your surgery probably would not be different than any other patient.  You would have to go off aspirin and your other medications may need to be adjusted, but I think if you are unhappy you can certainly go ahead with the surgery.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

You need to discuss this issue and the general anesthesia with your plastic surgeon and the cardilogist some of your medications may need to be changed.

You may need to be done in a hospital that both the cardiologist and the plastic surgeon have privillages