Will insurance cover rhinoplasty for my crooked nose? (photos)

I have always had a crooked nose. Not only does this affect my self esteem (as you can imagine the torment and torture I still go through on a daily basis) but it also affects my breathing. Like now, for instance. I have been sitting on the couch for about 15 minutes but it feels like I was 50 pounds overweight and just ran a mile and I'm gasping for air. My nose is always stuffy and even my sisters make fun of me and plug their noses to sound like me when mimicking me. I just want this all gone

Will insurance cover rhinoplasty for my crooked nose?

+1
   Insurance may cover the breathing procedures if surgery can improve the breathing.

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose and septoplasty for breathing problems

+1
Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 completely separate operations. Both can be performed same time under one anesthetic and one recovery period. A septoplasty is performed to improve airflow dynamics through the nose for better  breathing and improve the airway. Nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants are prescribed for allergies and swelling of the tissues inside the nose. Surgery is performed once you have failed medical therapy.  The rhinoplasty procedure is performed for purely cosmetic purposes and must be paid for by the patient. To repair a crooked nose, osteotomies of the nasal bones are required. Occasionally a spreader graft is also placed underneath the crooked and concave upper lateral cartilage. For many examples, please see the links below

Rhinoplasty insurance

+1
You appear to have both a functional and cosmetic nasal problem . You may require a septoplasty which is covered by insurance and cosmetic rhinoplasty to improve the shape of the nose. You should speak to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to be further evaluated.

Avron Lipschitz, MD
Stuart Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose and breathing problems covered under insurance

+1
Dear Chelesea,

• Yes, you can get portions of your procedure covered under insurance
  • The stuffiness may come from allergies, and they can also be improved with surgery, but you may still need allergy medications or sprays after surgery (probably a little less often)
  • When you are ready, please see a rhinoplasty specialist who can address both the look and the breathing

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Insurance and rhinoplasty

+1
Chelsea,
A rhinoplasty frequently can correct functional problems of the nasal airway. In certain cases, insurance may cover portions of the procedure involved airway improvement. The cosmetic portions of the procedure (e.g. improving nasal tip shape or correction of alar flaring) are typically not covered. I would recommend consultation with a surgeon with expertise in rhinoplasty to discuss your issues and to thoroughly evaluate your nose and airway.

Kind regards,

SJ Montante, MD

Steven Montante, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon