Thigh Lift: Groin Incision Or Incision Down the Leg Based on the Amount of Excess Skin/fat That I Need Removed? (photo)

43yr old female 150lb weight loss. Weight is stable & I'm happy w/my size 8/10. Not happy w/saggy skin I know there will be a scar. At my age I'm ok w/ scar as I want to be able to wear shorts/short skirts (not micro mini) but above the knee. From research I've found there are several type of incisions for a thigh lift. Based on my pics, will a "groin" incision remove enough skin to give a good lift or do I need the "vertical" inscion. I was thinking about lipo 1st to "debulk" Thank you so much

Groin Incision Thigh Lift vs Extended Medial Thigh Lift

+3

Due to the fact that the majority of your laxity is concentrated in the upper 1/3 of the thigh, the groin crease incision can be utilized.  I just did one like this a couple of days ago in a woman with similar anatomy.  Although the longer scar will make you slightly tighter, I do not think it is warranted in your case.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Avoid vertical incision if possible

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss . You must be feeling so much better .From your photos it appears that most of the loose skin is in the upper, inner thigh area . I feel you would do best with an antero-medial thigh lift with the incision in the groin crease . The vertical scar can be very noticeable and should be avoided unless absolutely needed

Algird R. Mameniskis, MD

Vertical scar

+1
It is very difficult to assess on photos but the decision needs to be based on what you wish to achieve and what is achievable by each technique. A groin incision will improve the appearance but you may still have some excess and it may feel tight in the groin afterwards. You would not need a full vertical incision down the leg but you may well require a groin incision with a short vertical extension. There are pros and cons of each of these techniques and you should consult with a PS with experience in body contouring.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift

+1

A thigh lift can be performed with a crescent incisin in the groin or an extended incision down the medial thigh.  It all depends upon the laxity.  It is best evaluated in person, sorry.

Thigh lift

+1

Congratulations for your tremendous weight loss !!

There are three considerations from the  pictures you added  important for you: Your expectations ;  What can be done surgically and what compromises you are willing to accept.

Having said that Inner thigh lift and liposuction are a reasonable first step. Vertical scar or not and if how long would depend on your expectations, skin elasticity and what your Plastic surgeon sees on examination. 

I would see a Board certified Plastic Surgeon I think you have a good chance to be very pleased with the result. 

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift after Weight Loss

+1

Thank you for your question. The answer really depends upon your expections and goals of surgery. The vertical incision allow us to tighten the skin more than just the groin incision. Patients who have lost significant weight with very loose skin are willing the accept the incision for the additional skin tightening. It would be best to go for a consult and exam to discuss your goals with a surgeon.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Options for thigh lift after 150 pound weight loss

+1

Congratulations, first of all, on your weight loss!  The answer to your question depends upon your goals.  If the main issue is to correct the looseness in the inner part of the thighs, then a correction via an incision in the natural crease between the inner thigh and the groin area could be of help.  If this is the approach, it is important that your surgeon understands how to anchor to the deep fascia; otherwise, the incision tends to drift downward.

It does appear that there is significant looseness around the entire thigh.  If this is an issue for you, then the best correction will probably be via an incision that runs the length of entire inner thigh.  Most patients find this to be an acceptable tradeoff, but your should discuss this carefully with your surgeon.

I would not recommend a preliminary liposuction, as this will only make things looser!

Best of luck

John Q. Cook, MD

Thigh Lift: Groin Incision Or Incision Down the Leg Based on the Amount of Excess Skin/fat That I Need Removed?

+1

Congratulations on your 150 pound weight loss. That's fantastic. After a 150 pound weight loss, excess skin and fat on the inner thigh is not uncommon.  Some patients have only excess skin and fat in the upper inner thigh. While other patients have excess skin and fat which goes to the knee. Based on your pictures, especially the third picture, you have excess skin that extends almost to the knee. Because of this excess skin and fat extending to the knee, I would suggest an incision from the groin to the knee.  This is often called a vertical incision.  Most experienced reconstructive plastic surgeons specializing in massive weight loss patients, debulk the inner medial thigh with liposuction.  Most plastic reconstructive surgeons do this at the same time as the vertical medial thigh lift.  Other plastic surgeons may preform the medial thigh liposuction first and wait several months before embarking on a vertical medial thigh lift.  A "groin" incision medial thigh lift would not be good for you. Even though the medial thigh lift scar is hidden, on your thighs,  it will not remove a significant amount of skin and fat.
Congratulations on your weight loss. Good luck on your medial thigh lift and other reconstructive plastic surgery.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS