Procedure to get a sharp jawline/Female, 50. (photo)

I am considering a lower face lift to tighten my neck and make a jawline as sharp as possible. I am not sure if only the lower face lift will do the job. My buccal fat pads as quite visible and I feel like they are pulling my lower face and mouse down. Should I remove them? Should I consider platysmoplasty? Should I also combine lower face lift with a neck lift? Any suggestions are appreciated. All I want is a perfect jawline. Thank you!

Lower Facelift

+1
You will need a necklift and facelift to address your jawline.  A lower facelift could be an option, but I feel that a full facelift will give you a better result as the direction of pull with a full facelift is better than what is typically done with just a lower facelift.  A platysmaplasty would be a good idea.  A buccal fat resection isn't necessary in my opinion.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lower facelift

+1
A lower facelift should include a "necklift" as well as that is frequently the area that patients are concerned about. Be careful about having your buccal fat pads removed as you  may regret that later in life when you start losing fat in the cheek area. Platysmaplasty ( tightening the neck muscles may be necessary if they are lax and separated which can be determined at the time of consultation. See an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for good advice

G. Wesley Price, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

A Sharper Jawline

+1
The lower facelift will tighten the neck muscles, remove the excess neck fat, tighten the neck skin, lift the jowls from the jawline and lift the marionette lines. It will give you a sharper jawline.

A full facelift will achieve everything described above as well as lifting the cheeks and tightening the temple area.

You look like you would do well with a lower facelift. Without an exam, I am not sure if you have visible buccal fat or just sagging jowls.

If you would like more information on the different types of facelifts, please read my book "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging Through Skincare, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Sharp Jawline

+1
Hello Loly1848, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

In my experience the best neck lift is a great facelift.  I do a platysmaplasty with all of my facelifts and it address the laxity in the sub mental area nicely while still addressing the jowls, cheeks etc with the facelift. 

I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.

Good luck, 

Dr. S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower face and neck lift

+1
Lower face and neck lift is more predictable because many of the factors causing the saggy neck could be addressed( skin, fat , muscle). In selected patient liposuction of the neck could give very good results in conjunction with a tightening treatment( ulthera or similar)

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Sharp jawline

+1
Dear Loly1848,

Based on the photos, a lower face and neck lift with possible limited submental liposuction and platysmalplasty should give you a sharper jawline and also, improve your neck. I don't think any surgeon will promise you "a perfect jawline" and if someone does, I would think twice before proceeding. 

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to get a sharp(er) jawline.

+1
Thank you for providing these photos!
The reason you cannot achieve a “perfect” jawline with a neck lift or liposuction alone is that the soft tissues of the cheek sag forming a jowl which will drop below the jawline. Removal of the buccal fat as you mention has not achieved the effects you desire in my hands.

I would recommend a Face and Neck Lift with the following techniques (based on an on-site confirming examination and proper consultation of your medical, social and other physical findings):
  • 1.Micro-lipo-contouring, ie using a 2 mm cannula is used to sculpt the lower cheek, jowl and neck.
  • 2.Open reduction of any submental fat. A platysmaplasty to tighten the neck muscles to lift and draw back the laxed neck tissues under the chin. A neck suspension suture will assist in lifting the neck crease upward.
You will find that once the neck lift has been performed, there will probably be an excess of skin laxity around the ear. This may require a skin trim and therefore the face component of the face and neck lift.
  • 3.Elevation and redraping of the jowl and cheek skin.
  • 4.Elevation and tailoring of the laxed jowl and soft tissues of the inner cheek.
I recognize you wished for an improved jawline without a lot of surgery but without the above recommendations, you may not achieve your goals and undergo more surgery at a later date with another recovery to match your desires with the results you seek.

Should you consider a less that “best” jawline, Sculptra for firming and perhaps a tightening chemical peel or laser resurfacing performed by a well-qualified injector may help.

I hope this has been helpful. Please find a well experienced and caring, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to match your desires with great skills. 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Best treatment for jaw and neck

+1
Thank you for the photos. You should have a very nice result from a standard lower face and neck lift with conservative trimming of excess fat under your chin and platysma tightening at the sides of the face.
A central tightening may be needed as well.

Although I call this a lower face and neck lift, other surgeons may call it a mini-lift, because no other surgery is done (e.e.g eyes, brow, mid-face). Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Refreshed neck and jaw

+1
You're a great candidate for the mini-lift under light sedation. The jowls would be erased and the neck nice and naturally tight. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

You are a good candidate for a lower face and neck lift

+1
I suggest a traditional SMAS based lower face/neck lift with adjunctive liposuction and fat sculpting, which can include reduction of the buccal jowl fat pad for the best result. Since you don't appear to have platysma banding, a submental platysma plication should not be needed.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon