7 months post op, Belly Button Revision? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck 7 months ago and my belly button scar looks terrible. Do you think that I will need a revision? I am also concerned with my tummy tuck scar. My doctor did not seem worried about it. Just wanted more opinions. Thanks

Scarring after a tummy tuck - revision?

+2

I agree that the scarring around your belly button could use a revision. In my practice, I am not a fan of circumferential belly button scars as they often look unnatural. Rather, a revision with the creation of a superior hood and no external scar on the lower portion of the belly button is advised. As for the abdominoplasty scar, you have a few small areas of hypertrophy (enlargement), but otherwise it looks quite good. Remember that scars continue to mature and improve for over a year after they are formed. Massage, moisturizer, and sometimes gel sheeting can all help to hasten this process.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Revision?

+2

You have a great result from your procedure. Scarring is unpredictable and sometimes (possibly in your case) revision may not be the answer and can even make things worse.  I agree with your surgeon about the belly button scar, give it more time to mature and heal.  If you are still unhappy after one year, you can revisit having something done (maybe even an IPL laser to lighten the color).

As far as the long incision, I would begin with injection of a mild steroid into the two small keloid scars and go from there.  Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Keloid is seen occasionally after tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

You have a really nice result!  But you do have some spotty keloids.  Hard to treat. I would begin with injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

More surgery may not be the answer

+2

Everybody's body heals differently and it is rare for a scar to "mature" or soften until at least one year after surgery and sometimes more.  Sometimes scars may become hypertrophic, remaining harder and and more noticeable than normal.  This can sometimes be alleviated by the injection of steroids into the scar.  Unfortunately, a revision that, by its nature, results in restarting the scarring process may not improve the heaviness of the scarring.  I would recommend continuing to discuss your concerns about the scar with your surgeon.

Emily A. Williams, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Belly button revision

+2

Hello and thanks for the questions and photos, Lola.  With your skin type, it is not uncommon to have hyperpigented, and sometimes hypertrophic (thick) scars after any surgery.  Although steroids can help with the thickness of the scar, and might lighten the coloration, be cautious with use as it can lighten the surrounding skin, too, causing a light skinned area to show itself.  Once the scar has matured more, you can consider a revision to the scar that might hide it better, or consider laser treatment to it to shrink and lighten the coloration.  Best of luck and hope this helps.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Belly Button Revision

+2

It is unlikely to cause problems if performed properly so I would opt for a course of diluted steroid injections if the scar is hard. Scar revision is an option but I would recommend waiting at least a year to allow maximal healing of the current scar. As long as the scar is improving I would delay surgery. If a revision is performed I usually am pre-emptive with injections of steroid at the time of surgery and starting at a month out from surgery. Nothing is guaranteed but I have had some success with this approach in the past.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Unattractive belly button after tummy tuck

+2

Hi,

There are many things to consider in your case.  The most important is to do NOTHING at this point.  I see answers for injections/etc.  The best way to handle hypertrophic scars at 7 months post op is to back off and wait.  Notice that your tummy tuck scar is broken up in segments of more absorption of the scars and keloids in other areas. 

In Afro-American patients, keloids are always more prominent.  Also, the scars in the belly button area can be VERY harsh when keloids form. Nature should help with time but if not, then other considerations such as steroids/revision etc can be considered.  Also one thing That I have done in this situation is to take out the scar and shorten the stalk of the belly button.  This makes the scar go more INTO the belly button hole and become less noticable.

Notice also that this is a possibility but stay close to your doctor for this.  His attitude in waiting is EXACTLY right at this point.  Give it a year from the surgery or even 18 months and then considerations for any concerns can be discussed

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.   Albany, New York

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Revision

+2

You have hypertrophic scarring of the navel, and there are a few areas of the same along the main incision.

The problem with scar revision is the high chance of recurrence, so it is worth a try at non-operative therapy first. If you haven't tried over the counter scar creams, try one. Ask your surgeon about kenalog injections--this is the "gold standard," not to imply that it always works. Usually these are administered in a series of 3 injections, two weeks or so apart.

If that fails, only then is the time to consider scar revision. Thank you for your question, and for the posted photos. Best wishes.

Consider steroid injection

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You may want to discuss the possibility of injection steroids into the scars.  Doing so can accomplish two things, reduce the thickness of the scar and lighten the scar.  Care must be taken as the pigment can be impacted too much and you may develop a hypo-pigmented (light) area.  Sometime several smaller amounts and lower concentration injections can provide a better result.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Belly button revision?

+1

Congratulations on undergoing an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. Sometimes excessive scarring can develop. If your bellybutton scar distresses you, I would definitely suggest bellybutton or umbilical scar revision. Typically, bellybutton scar revision can be done under local anesthesia in the office. To minimize the chances of recurrent hypertrophic scarring or keloids, I would suggest the use of silicone strips and silicone cream. Good luck. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS