When Will Expansion Start, How Long for Open Wound to Heal After Bilateral Masectomy?

Timing of expansion and wound healing after mastectomy

+1

I typically begin expansion 2 weeks after mastectomy and tissue expander placement.  The incision used for the mastectomy is mostly healed by this point. I would agree that more information is necessary to answer your question about open wounds healing.

Mastectomy and tissue expander inflation

+1

I usually wait about three weeks after mastectomy to start inflation of the tissue expanders provided that the wounds have healed.  Radiation and chemotherapy treatment can delay this.

Open wound after bilateral mastectomy with expanders.

+1

The wounds typically involve the mastectomy flaps.  these invariably slow the process down.  the tissue is already stressed and can be further stressed by expansion.  this points to how critical it is to have excellent mastectomy flap by the breast surgeon.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Expansion start after mastectomy

+1

You would need to provide some more details to get a more meaningful answer.  In general the expansion can begin 2-4 weeks after mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, depending on many factors specific to your cancer treatment plan and type of reconstruction performed.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Expansion Start?

+1

Thanks for your question.  I'm not certain how to specifically answer your question without more details about your situation.  In general most expansion can begin within a few weeks following an immediate reconstruction.  Chemotherapy and radiation therapy can delay this.  I would have to know more about your present situation to be more specific.  

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon