Torn Between Getting This Done or Not?

I have wanted to do a BBL for years. I have researched it and now at 40 I want it. I suffer from anxiety already but researching and reading that death may be an option is not comforting. The fact that a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in San Antonio, TX preformed one and "accidentally" punctured an Aorta? Is definitely insane? I have chosen a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Miami. I have done so much research my head hurts. Embolisims, punctured organs, toxicity from Anesthesia?? Please help

Torn Between BBL

+4

It is`important to know that any surgery has risks, however, when performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and with good post op care, the chances of any complications are minimal. Its good that you are doing so many research, this way you will be able to find the right doctor for you. Good Luck.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Buttlift Risks and Concerns

+4

Thoracic or abdominal injury along with significant PE and lidocaine toxicity all account for less than 0.1% of problems after liposuction.  

Risk of Brazilain Butt lift (BBL)

+2

Thank you for your question. I understand your concerns. With a properly done BBL, the risk of embolism, punctured organs, toxicity is relatively low. In our Atlanta office, this procedure is done using IV Sedation reducing the risk of general anesthesia. While doing liposuction, your surgeon should be aware of where his/her instruments are at all times, especially the tip of the instrument. Being aware of this, significantly decreases, if not eliminates, your potential for any sort of organ/vessel puncture. Your best bet is to find a Plastic Surgeon close to you. There are many Plastics surgons in Atlanta who perform these operation safely every week. Good luck

Stanley Okoro, MD

Brazilian butt lift complications are relitively rare

+2

Hello. With a board certified plastic surgeon in an approved facility a Brazilian butt lift is a relatively safe procedure. All surgeries carry certain risks and a Brazilian butt lift is no different but for healthy patients complications are very rare. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Brazilian Butt Lift Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Hazards of Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

Puncturing an aorta sounds very extreme, and I think the risk of that happening to you are tiny. There is usually some post op bruising and soreness with liposuction, but intra-abdominal injury is rare.

Once the fat is harvested, usually from the flanks, outer and upper posterior thighs, or abdomen, it is separated from fluid and fatty oil, and re-injected into the buttocks.  It will not all survive, so initially some over correction may be done.

In general, fat-grafting and liposuction are very safe.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Complications of liposuction.

+2

Serious complication with liposuction are extremely rare. Remember when dealing with humans, there is always the chance of having imperfections, complications, mistakes etc. 

Wilberto Cortes, MD

Butt augmentation

+2

Dear Blancarosa,

Butt augmentation is very popular today due to celebrities like J-Lo and Kim Kardashian. Idealy, fat injection would be the best , but it does not last. I had  9 patients over the last year who had fat injection to the butt and it completely or almost completelt disappeard after 1 year. It is physiologically illogical to expect a large amount of fat to survive without circulation. Sorry to add additional concern to you but that is reality. Butt implants are soft, feel and look natural and most importantly , do not disappear. Make sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with butt implants and you like his before and after results pictures.

Dr Widder 

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

It is normal to be nervous about any surgical procedure, but serious complications are rare when performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. You have to be comfortable with your decision to have this done.

Matthew Schulman, MD

BBL

+1

The procedure is safe and has excellent results with beautiful and longstanding enhancement of the buttocks

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Anxiety about surgery

+1

Surgery always provokes some level of anxiety.  It is important that you chose a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a lot of BBLs.  It is a real surgery and there are risks, but major complications are rare.  Injury to the aorta during liposuction is an atypical complication.

Dennis Dass, MD