Are there any risks from performing rhinoplasty at the age 17? (photo)

I am currently 17 years old and would like to undergo rhinoplasty before I leave for college next year. I have a moderate to severe hump over the bridge of my nose and the tip points slightly downward. I would like to know the risks and approximate recovery time undergoing surgery.

Rhinoplasty at age 17 is no more problematic than in any age.

+1
A 17 you would have to have the permission of your parents but the operation does not present any technical difficulties more than any other age.

Rhinoplasty before college is common

+1
Dear Morganjanal, Typically at age 17 you are fine for rhinoplasty surgery. This is a very common procedure performed before many young ladies take off to college. I did my daughters at the same age before she left for school and a handful of her friends. The necessity would be parental consent due to the fact that you are still a minor. The splint is removed in seven days after the procedure and then the majority of the swelling will dissipate over the next three months with a small amount that takes an entire year. Most patients who come from out of town or state I prefer to be here for eight days before traveling back to school. If you are going to have your surgery done locally and then go out of state to college you can speak with your surgeon and see if he/she can set up a surgeon in your college town for follow up care. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty at 17

+1
I think for most women it is ok to perform a rhinoplasty at 17, but you will need permission from your parents before going for a consultation.

Are there any risks from performing rhinoplasty at the age 17?

+1
It is generally accepted that the nose reaches adult size in most patients at 15 in females and 16-17 in males. A rhinoplasty can be performed after that time.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history evaluating your level of maturity, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure with you and your parents would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) with extensive experience in performing ethnic rhinoplasties that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Teenage rhinoplasty

+1
You can have a successful procedure at your age with parental consent.  The procedure will require 1 week of rest with internal/external splints.  After the splints and sutures are removed, you will see soft tissue swelling persist for 6-8 weeks.  At this point you should see your final result.  Best wishes!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Performing Rhinoplasty on 17 Year Old Female

+1
I have successfully performed many rhinoplasties on 17 year old young ladies for over 30 years without added risks  because the nose is fully grown in these young women. You will need the consent of your parents or guardian.

Teen Rhinoplasty before college: yes or no?

+1
Yes, you could have a nose surgery that will raise the tip so it points out not down and at the same time address the hump.  All nose surgeries are complex procedures and there are risks.  There is a a young African American woman who has a nose similar to yours that I have posted on Real Self or on my website, it might be helpful to look at.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty candidate for downturned tip and dorsal hump

+1
 As long as the face has quit growing, it is acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty procedure. Most young women's faces have quit growing at age 16, while young men quit growing at age 18. To reduce the dorsal hump, this must be shaved down since it is composed of both bone and cartilage. The tip  will need to be lifted as well balanced with a new bridge line.
 The recovery period usually lasts approximately 2 weeks with some degree of visible bruising and swelling. The cast stays on the nose for one week after the procedure.  Full healing after the rhinoplasty procedure takes one year and the majority of the small amount residual swelling stays in the tip for that period time. for many examples of pump removal and  lifting the down turned tip, please see the link below