Could these scars be removed without skin graphing? (photos)

Hi, i have had these two scars since i was 11, 12. one is from falling off a bike and never getting it looked at which is the one on my knee. and the other one is an iron burn. i have never been able to be that girl who wears shorts because of it, and i just want my life back so i wanted to know were they able to be removed? thank you for your time.

Los Angeles scar revision with Melarase and laser resurfacing

+1
Our office specializes in scar revision. For your scars, we would recommend a combination of Melarase creams + laser resurfacing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Scars can be significantly improved with fractional laser treatments

+1
I would consult a physician who is very experienced in treating scars with a fractional laser such as the Fraxel and there are many others. The scar won't disappear but the appearance can be significantly improved thus minimizing the scar. I would not do any skin grafting or surgery because those procedures will leave scars likely worse than what you have now.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Scar management

+1
Thank you for your pictures. It's difficult to give her the scars. If you do you'll be training the scars four of the scars. I don't think it's worth your time or effort. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Could these scars be removed without skin grafting?

+1
Thank you for the pictures--very helpful! Skin grafting, where skin is removed from one part of the body and transferred to another for coverage of a wound, is generally not needed for treatment of unsightly scars.  The 2 scars you have are very different and thus need to be treated differently. You are best served having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience treating scars.  For the scar on your knee it looks a little hypertrophic so this is most likely going to be treated with a scar revision whereby the old scar is cut out and a new, better scar is made.  This would then be followed by a post-operative scar care program.  It is in a slightly difficult area, prone to stretching because of it's location at the knee.  The thigh scar is a little bit more complicated because of it's size and location.  It would need an in-person evaluation but likely would be improved by a combination of mild bleaching creams (such as hydroquinone) and fractional laser treatments. Keep in mind that there is nothing that removes scars--our goal is to improve their appearance and make them less perceptible.  Scars are the body's normal response to an injury.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon