Flying On Plane One Week After TT, Suggestions On Making It Safe And Comfy?

I'm Flying from Miami to ATL 1 Week Later After a Full TT, What Can I Do to Be Safe and Comfy? The Flight is an Hour and a Half.

Flying One Week Post-op a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Hello Savannah, my advice to my patients, would be not to fly after a tummy tuck surgery for a minimum of three weeks.

• Talk to your plastic surgeon and ask his advice with your air travel plans, develop a solid plan with him/her regarding post operative travel and recovery.
  •  Ask questions regarding a longer stay
  •  Additional post-operative visits
  •  Blood thinner advice for your specific case
  •  Hydration importance
  • Pressure stockings
  •  Movement and flexing the legs
  •  As well as help from family to ease your recovery

I wish you a safe and speedy recovery.

Dr. Pietraszek

Flying after surgery

+1

There is some evidence that your blood is subject to abnormal clotting for at least two weeks after surgery.  This is exacerbated by dehydration and inactivity.  If you plan to fly after surgery you need to check with your doctor.  If you have to fly you need to stay hydrated (flying is dehydrating due to altitude and low humidity) so drink drink drink, and NOT coffee or alcohol.  It is critically important to walk the aisles while in the air.  Prolonged sitting is a huge risk factor for blood clots.

Flying after tummy tuck surgery

+1

good morning!

Great question- first of all, I would be certain that your surgeon agrees with your travel plans.  Even though it is a short flight, anyone sitting for prolonged periods of time are at increased risk for a DVT, or blood clot in the legs.  In your case you are at even higher risk due to your recent abdominoplasty.  I would discuss this at length with your PS and ask if taking an aspirin at this juncture to help with blood thinning is appropriate.  I would also really concentrate on flexing and extending your legs and ankles during the flight, and even stand up and walk in the aisle if possible during the flight- all in an effort to avoid blood clots.

Again, be sure you speak with your PS prior to flying.

I hope this helps

Web reference: http://www.drsteely.com/body-procedures-houston/

Flying after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

I would ask the recommendation of your plastic surgeon prior to taking any trips.   If you must fly, I would recommend a blood thinner the morning of the flight, compression stockings, drinking plenty of fluids, and ambulating a few times when allowed during the flight.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Flying after surgery, tummy tuck

+1

Flying immediately surgery is not recommended.  

If you must, t would follow the following recommendations:

1) walk as frequently as you can and ask for an aisle seat for easy access

2) Wear compression stockings and do leg exercises while seated

3) If you have other risk factors you may consider taking a blood thinner such as Lovenox.

4) Ask others to help do any of the heavy lifting such as placing your carrying case in the overhead compartment

Flying after surgery

+1

I would ask your doctor to review your risk factors. You may benafit from a short course of blood thinners. If you have no risk factors the staying hydrated and frequent leg movement and getting up a few times should do the trick. If the flight was long it would be riskier.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Flying after surgery

+1

This is a very good question. The biggest concern with flying, at any time, but also after any type of surgery, is the possibility of developing blood clots, called deep venous thrombosis, or DVT. It mostly occurs when you are stuck in the same cramped position for a long time. Increased risk factors include, history of smoking, oral contraceptives and recent surgery. When flying after surgery I recommend drinking a lot of fluids to keep yourself well hydrated, moving your legs and feet frequently while in your seat, and get up to walk at least once an hour during the flight. 

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/procedures/body-contouring/tummy-tuck/

Flying on a plane after Tummy tuck surgery

+1

The issue with flying soon after abdominoplasty surgery is that both carry an increased risk of the development of a deep vein thrombosis(blood clot). When combining the two close in time, you are further increasing your risk.  Staying well hydrated and moving around often on the plane will be beneficial. 

+1

The problem with flying/driving/etc within 2 weeks after surgery is the possibility of a blood clot. Prolonged immobilization can lead to clots in your calf which can then travel to your lungs. Stay hydrated, walk around often, and keep your calves pumping by lifting your feet up/down. Do not go to sleep! 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Travel after a tummy tuck

+1

In general, I would not suggest flying or traveling any great distances for two to three weeks following a tummy tuck.  If you must fly, be certain to get up, walk and move your legs frequently, also stay well hydrated.  This will help decrease the risk of thrombophlebitis (blood clots forming in the legs).  Also, wear a compression garment, this will help minimize swelling and fluid collection which can occur due to the decreased cabin pressure.  Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.vincentleporemd.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon