Does Fraxel Work on Old Pregnancy Stretch Marks?

I am an African American dark skin ( between Carmel and milk chocolate) female. I have stretch marks on my belly. I am going to have smartlipo (upper & lower abs, love handles and lower back) in two months. I would like to finish up my changes with Fraxel. I was told that Fraxel works well on stretch marks. Is this true for AA skin. My stretch marks are not red they are a lighter shade of brown.

Fraxel and Stretch Marks

+1

Thank you for your question. Fraxel is a light energy treatment that stimulates natural skin collagen to improve  fine lines, visible photo aging, wrinkles, scarring and age spots.  The only way to get rid  most of stretch  marks is a tummy tuck. You may see minimal textural improvement with fraxel, but the stretch marks will not disappear. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Fraxel good for stretch marks but not in dark skin

+1

You are exactly correct in thinking that fraxel is good for stretch marks; however, while it can be done in your skin, it will likely leave hyperpigmentation or skin darkness in the areas treated. This darkening is usually not permanent but is often unsatisfactory because it can be very long lasting. Chemical peels or a very light fraxel such as fraxel dual or clear and brilliant might be a better choice to improve the color of the stretch marks but these are unlikely to significantly improve the texture. Good luck!

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Fraxel for Brown Stretch Marks?

+1

Hi Kimora.  We do not think Fraxel is a great choice for brown stretch marks or for your skin type.  Using Fraxel will most likely make the areas treated darker.  It may very well help with the texture of the skin (indentations from the stretch marks), but it will most likely make the colored area darker.  

We use q-switched lasers for dark stretch marks and you can see an example in the pictures below.  Ask the practice doing the treatment to provide before and after photos of an AA with dark stretch marks that had a Fraxel treatment.  Not sure they will be able to provide that for you.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD