Why Would Feelings of Numbness After Mini-facelift Be Variable from Day-to-day?

I had a mini-lower lift 5 months ago. I still have some numbness just in front of both ears and intermittent tightness along the jaw and neck. The degree of numbness seems to vary from day to day. Sometimes I could even swear the numbness is gone entirely but, so far, it always returns. Feelings of increased numbness/tightness seem to occur simultaneously. My ps thinks it may be due to internal swelling (there's no external swelling.) Are there any other possible explanations? Thank you!

Mini Face Lift Numbness

Thank you for your question. Your activity varies from day to day, and with increased activity, swelling will occur. Thus, you need to moderate you’re activity, and allow yourself to heal, then gradually increase your activity. No chewing gum, and excessive jaw activity. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after facelift is very normal.

Because the normal nerve supply to the skin of the face is disrupted by a facelift and has to grow back, it is very normal to have some numbness several months, and even up to a year or longer, after facelift.  The fact that it comes and goes indicates to me that things are resolving but not quite there yet.  I would encourage you to gently massage your facial skin daily with moisturizer and stay in touch with your surgeon.  He should know about any changes that you experience so that he can advise you accordingly.

Numbness and Tightness 5 Months After Mini Facelift

Numbness and tightness 5 months after a mini facelift may be a part of the normal healing process.  Any concerns should be directed to your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD HughesPlasticSurgery Los Angeles, CA

Numbness after Mini Facelift

It is not unusual to experience numbness and tightness 5 months after a mini facelift.  Your nerves and the underlining tissue are still in the healing process.  I would follow up on a routine basis with my Plastic Surgeon until you are totally recovered.

Numbness After Mini-Facelift

The intermittent feelings of numbness and tightness are fairly normal 5 months after surgery.  These strange sensations, known as paresthesias generally resolve within 3-6 months but can take longer.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after facelift

Hi. The numbness usually takes up to 6 m to completely resolve as the nerves have to grow back through the area of surgery. The intermittent 'sensations' that you describe are usually due to resolving scar tissue and overall continued healing of the skin and soft tissues that were operated on. Not to worry, all of these sensations should completely resolve with tincture of time. Enjoy your new look!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS