5 Months After Facelift, What Could Cause Numb Feeling to Come & Go?

Sometimes I could swear the area of numbness in front of both ears is completely gone; at other times it feels numb again. What could cause this variability in sensation? Also I've noticed itching and tingling in areas around my ears that were never numb to begin with -- is this related to nerve regrowth in places that were originally numb even though not in the exact location as the paresthesias? Thanks so much for your help!

Post Face Lift Numbness

+1

Thank you for your question. Selling is very difficult to understand other than that after surgical swelling subsides, your activity can cause some of it to come back. Thus as you heal, swelling is leaving until you overuse the area, and some can return. Thus, you have to pay attention to what makes you swell, and what you can do to reduce the inflammation. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Temporary numbness around ears can happen after Facelift surgery

+1

Temporary numbness, itching, funny sensations and heaviness can happen after any type of facelift surgery. In vast majority of cases it is temporary and as the sensory nerves grow back and swelling of the face goes down the sensation return to normal.

In rare case the numbness can be permanent and can occur due to damage of the nerve behind the ear on the neck. Luckily this is rare.

Strange sensations are normal after facelift

+1

Because the skin and fat tissues are separated from a large portion of their underlying sensory nerve supply, there will almost certainly be some sensory change following facelift surgery.  The strange sensations you are describing, called collectively "dysesthesias," are typical, and while they may resolve in a matter of a few months, it is not unheard of for them to take a year or longer to go away.  Sometimes a little mild stimulation like a gentle massage or rubbing with lotion will help desensitize the tissues and expedite the resolution of dysesthesias.

Tingling Around Ears after Facelift

+1

Tingling around the ears after mini facelift at 5 months is a sign that things are still regenerating.  Kenneth Hughes, MD HughesPlasticSurgery Los Angeles, CA

Numbness after facelift

+1

It is very normal to have numbness or odd sensations around the ears and cheeks after a facelift.  This typically improves in the first 3 months after your surgery, but can certainly last longer and varies with each individual.  As the sensory nerves are regrowing and reconnecting it is common to have a sensation that isn't numb but isn't normal either.  This tingling and itching are common sensations that many patients report during this recovery process and should disappear.  Facelift scars also continue to improve over this first year and this process could also be contributing to the itchy and tingling sensation around your ears.  

Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Transient numbness of the face after facelift

+1

As the nerves "wake up" after facelift patients will notice that the face goes from feeling numb to feeling more normal, but certainly in the 1 month to 2 year time frame over which this happens there will be periods where the sensation fluctuates.  Short answer, this is normal and should fix itself over time.