Do You Find Among Your BL Patients a Significant Percentage That Have Issues with the Vertical Scar?

I have decided to undergo a much needed breast lift after nursing 4 children. Consultations with PS's in my area all recommended the lollipop type BL. Fees ranged from $6000-$7800. I also inquired online from a PS about a BL without the vertical scar. The quote I received was $10,900 plus travel costs. I have not ruled this surgeon out as his before & afters are phenomenal but I am trying to weigh the cost/benefit. Is the vertical scar a physical or psychological issue to the average patient?

Vertical scars in breast lifts weaken the skin envelope

+1

Dear Susan,

I strongly advise you to visit the 'related breast lift Q&A' section of this site and look at the vast number of complications seen with vertical scar breast lifts. Trust me, I used to perform these back in the day and the vertical incision was by far the most problematic. Why place a cut at the point of maximum tension? Not a wise decision (pardon the pun!).

This led me to develop the Ultimate Breast Lift technique where the vertical scar has been completely eliminated. The skin envelope is no longer the only structure maintaining the shape and support (like the others).  An internal bra (designed from your own tissue) reshapes and anchors your breast tissue beautifully. The inframammary incision is not a problem.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Breast Lift Concerns

+1

Although the vertical portion can remain visible and may bother some patients, patients, in general, are so happy with the lifted, rounded, tight look to the breasts that the scars are a worthwhile tradeoff.  I always show patients before and after photos to give them a sense of what to expect with regard to the scars and improved contours.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast lift Los Angeles, CA

Breast Lifts and Scaring

+1

I agree whole heartily that although the vertical scar is the one scar that most women fear, it is the scar that is most likely to become completely inconspicuous. A vast majority of my breast lift/breast reduction patients have no issues with any scarring, but when they do it is most likely the horizontal scar under the breast, usually at the ends of the scar.  That is why most surgeons like myself strive to shorten the horizontal scar.

The few sites I visited that touted no vertical scar was not impressive for the most part: asymmetry of mounds, irregularly shaped areola with thick periareolar scarring, and persistent pseudoptosis (hanging of the underside of the breast).  What you couldn't see but was present was the inframammary scar, which is the scar that is usually the most problematic.  I think opting for the 'no vertical scar' breast lift is a wash at best, and more likely to give you a result that could have been much better given all the new problems that crop up when you eliminate the vertical scar.

Best of Luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Vertical Scar

+1

Among patients who have had an anchor type lift or a breast reduction with the same pattern of incision,and in whom the scars have matured (one year),  I find the most complaints are with the horizontal scar in (or near) the fold, next most common complaints are about the peri-areolar scar, and the fewest about the vertical scar. 

Of patients who have required intervention, usually kenalog injection, the vertical scars are the least common to require injections. 

Atlanta has a long history of excellence in breast surgery. I would trust those opinions.

Obviously this is being stated without access to photos, etc.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.