Athletic 5'8" 150-155lbs, BA Opinions/Suggestions?

I'm 5'8" and athletic (figure/diva competitor) 150-155 lbs with a b-c. Possibly going DD. Know I want gel and submuscular. Opinions/suggestions?

Implant Selection Process

+1

The larger the implant, the higher the risk of complications.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Submuscular Silicone Implants in Athletic Woman

+1

The transition from a B to DD would involve placing implants that would increase 3 cup sizes, which is about the max that one can achieve on a primary augmentation.  This may take 600 cc on a slim woman. 

Implants

+1

I prefer submuscular placement of implants. It provides you with better coverage especially in the upper pole. Proper sizing and placement is key.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1

Nice photo!  I would recommend sub muscular implants for sure.  Some surgeons advise against going under the muscle in body builders because their muscle are too tight.  I disagree with this.  Going under the muscle works just fine and will give you a much nicer result.  If you go,above the muscle, it is likely your implant will be more noticeable especially in the upper portion which I think looks very obvious. As far as size is concerned, I would go for around 350 to 400 cc's and think either saline or silicone would give you a great result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Submuscular implants best for athletic build

+1

Thank you for your question.  I agree with the previous answers.  A submuscular, dual plane implant position will give you the most natural appearing upper pole.  It is important to camaflouge the implant edge in patients who have thinner tissue coverage, assuming this is your situation.  However, implant movement or dynamic distortion, is absolutely possible.  Depending on the type of aesthetic result you prefer, a shaped implant may be good for you, but it depends on your desired result.  A round implant tends to give a more pronounced, possibly convex upper pole, especially with larger size implants and also higher profile implants.  The Sientra shaped implant might be great for you, but are not available in very large sizes.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Submuscular gel implants

+1

I agree with using submuscular gel for the best results. I would also consider using a shaped/anatomical implant to give a more natural shape. Traditional round implants in thin muscular builds can look very fake, especially in the size implants you want, so using a shaped implant will help look less fake.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

+1

Submuscular gel is probably the best choice for you but remember all submuscular implants may show movement and distortion when the pectoralis muscles are flexed. Go with a dual plane technique to minimize that movement. I have always placed the implants submuscular in my body building patients, counseling them ahead of time about the risk of movement with flexion, and it has never seemed to be a problem for those women.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation for Athlete?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I would agree with your plan to proceed with sub muscular (dual plane) breast augmentation with silicone gel breast implants.

Generally speaking, for patients with very little body fat/soft tissue coverage, I prefer the use of silicone gel breast implants over the use of saline filled breast implants.
 Although there are pros and cons of placement of breast implants in the sub muscular versus sub glandular position, I generally prefer the use of the sub muscular (dual plane)  position  for the vast majority of patients.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.
  Sub muscular (dual plane) breast implant positioning does have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle).
 Again, I think the advantages of sub muscular (dual plane) breast implant placement far outweigh the  potential disadvantages associated with breast implants  placements of glandular position,  no matter how active the patient.

Prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery careful  selection of your plastic surgeon and communication of your goals will be very important;  I would suggest that you do not base this communication ( or your satisfaction with the results of surgery) on a specific cup size.  Goal pictures and an emphasis on achieving a “proportionate” (given your height and weight) result  may be helpful.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. 

I hope this (and the attached link) helps.