What Can an Athlete Do About Training when Recovering from a Breast Lift WithOUT Implants?

I'm a 36 year old athlete getting a breast lift WITHOUT implants. I haven't yet had my consultations, but I know that I'll be receiving a lollipop or anchor procedure, and I a worry about the impact of recovery on my training. I lift weights intensely 3x a week and do plyometrics and interval training the other days. What is the timeline reality of being able to resume this regimen after surgery? Are there plans for athletes? I worry about losing endurance, muscle tone, and strength.

Breast Lifting and Exercise?

+1

I ask my patients to start walking immediately after surgery,  to start using a stationary bike 10 days after surgery and to avoid heavy lifting 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.

Exercise after breast lift.

+1

I tell my patients not to do anything strenuous for the first two weeks to avoid raising their blood pressure which could cause bleeding. After 2 weeks, they can start aerobic, lower body, and core exercises.  However I do not want them doing any lifting exercises with the upper body for 6 weeks.

M. Keith Hanna, MD

Exercise after breast lift

+1

Great advice from all of the above! But, just so you are well informed... the anchor or lollipop procedures are not your only options. I have developed a new technique that firmly secures your newly reconstructed breast mound onto your chest so that your lift lasts longer and gives you nice perky and firm breasts without a vertical incision! Your only scars will be well hidden around the areolas and under the natural crease of the breasts. I use your own tissue to make an 'internal bra' so that you have cleavage and upper pole fullnes just like you would if you had implants!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

No restrictions 2 weeks after breast lift

+1

In general, I will let you work out without restrictions 2 weeks after mastopexy. Prior to this, there is a low, but real, risk of  bleeding. You can swim as soon as the incisions are no longer crusting, usually about 3 weeks postop. You can walk and do light activity as soon as you feel safe to do so after surgery. If you work out regularly, you should be back to a normal regimen quickly.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast lift

+1

I routinely have my patients avoid any exertional activity for about 3-4 weeks.  By that time, they can go back to light aerobics and then gradualy after 6-8 weeks they can go back to heavy lifting and strenous exercise.  If you start to early, you may be prone to develop a hematoma.

Weight training after breast surgery

+1

I would advise against any strenuous activities for the first two to three weeks to allow the incisions to heal well.

After this period, any exercise/training which can cause lot of shoulder or chest movements (which I suspect most weight training do) should be avoided for a further 3-4 weeks. Do wear very well-fitting and supporting sports bras when you resume training.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

It takes time to let your Breast Lift surgery Heal!

+1

Firstly, as for the technique chosen - do not settle for an anchor scar technique. Newer techniques do a better job and are more durable. The circumareolar Goes Lift or the Lollipop Lejour Lift are the best for shape, scar and durability.

As for physical activity and surgery, I want the rearranged breast tissue to heal before stress the repair. Typically wound healing is at 60-70% final strength at 8-12 weeks. So, I give my patients the following guidelines;

1- No activity for 3 weeks.

2-At three weeks, they can walk on a treadmill, ride a bicycle, walk on a stairmaster or lift leg weights. You must wear a very tight sportsbra.

3- At 2 months, yo can resume all physical activity without limitations.

Good luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Excersize after mastopexy

+1

The first answer you got is right on target. having returned from numerous athletic injuries I can promise you that a few weeks out of commission will hardly be noticed. relax. You will be back before you know it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Athletic training after breast lift

+1
I ask my patients to avoid any exercise for 2 weeks following surgery to avoid raising blood pressure and heart rate and possibly cause bleeding that would lead to further surgery, and after a breast lift I advise avoiding bouncing, running, or lying on their tummy for 6 weeks until their incisions are well healed and strong. Exercise bikes, treadmills, elliptical trainers are ok at 2 weeks.

Robert M. Grenley, MD