Breast Reduction for Athlete with DD Breasts?

I am a athlete I am all muscle except for my 36 DD breast I am 19 years old. I twirl baton and I dance. Most of my body is muscle. I want to wear a regular bikini instead of trying to find a bikini that works with my body. I struggle to find clothes that fit my upper body. Is there anything that I can do to get them reduced?

Is a breast reduction right for me?

+2

In general breast reduction patients are some of plastic surgery's happiest patients.  A breast reduction can alleviate neck and shoulder pain secondary to the heaviness of the breasts.  However there are trade offs .  A breast reduction cannot be done without leaving scars.  The scars will go around the nipple/aerolar complex, extend  down from the nipple /aerolar complex to the bottom of the breast and extend below the breast.  

Some women have been able to breast feed after reduction but other women have not.  Some women have also lost feeling in their nipples.  A board certified plastic surgeon can discuss all of these issues with you and help you decide if a reduction would be right for you. 

Breast Reduction Surgery for athlete

+2

Large breasts can restrict your lifestyle and cause a variety of medical problems. Even drastic weight loss won't result in more than negligible shrinkage. Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier.

I commonly use a minimal incision technique (Le Jour), eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing breast contour and shape that is proportionate to the patient’s body. Your surgeon knows exactly how much tissue he or she is taking out, because it is weighed after removal. The good news is that this procedure can be performed under local anesthesia and twilight sedation instead of general anesthesia, but some doctors still use a general anesthetic. And breast reduction comes with an added bonus: the extracted breast tissue is always sent to the lab and examined by a pathologist for signs of cysts or cancer. Having smaller breasts can take years off your appearance!

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast Reduction Surgery

+2

Yes, you are a good candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery.  You will need to check with your insurance company regarding whether it is a covered condition in your policy.  Otherwise, as most people have to do, you can schedule it as a cosmetic procedure.  Talk to a few plastic surgeons and find one that you feel comfortable talking too and that seems to understand your expectations.  Breast reduction patients are some of the happiest patients that we have - the surgery makes a great difference in their lives.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
  You may be an excellent candidate for the breast reduction procedure, one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

It  is important that you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with breast reduction surgery, including  abnormal scarring. You should also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

Timing of the breast reduction surgery is  based on  the patient's psychosocial place in life and is a very individual- specific decision.  She must be able to accept the scars (which result from the breast reduction surgery)  in exchange for the improvement in size/contour/position of  the breasts.  Some patients choose to have the breast reduction surgery earlier in life; some patients prefer to wait until they are in mature/stable relationships and/or have completed  having pregnancies.

Breast Reduction has a very high rate of patient satisfaction

+1

Hi there-

You sound like an outstanding candidate for breast reduction! Young, healthy, athletic women like yourself typically experience such a positive life change after breast reduction that most experienced plastic surgeons would tell you they find it to be among the most fulfilling procedures they do.

Here is some advice on how to find a surgeon you like and can trust:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Reasons and Indications for Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Anyone in good health can have her breast reduced. If you pay for the Breast Reduction out of your pocket, your REASONS for wishing the breast made smaller, lighter and more proportionate are your own and they do not need to be justified to anyone.

On the other hand if you expect your insurance company to pay for a Breast reduction surgery that is a different matter. First - you must check and see if your / your parents' particular policy even offers Breast Reduction benefits. Many do not. Then if it does, then you need to meet EVERY one of the insurance company's requirements , also termed INDICATIONS for the operation.

I would start by reading your benefits book. If you have the coverage then look for which Plastic surgeons in your area work with your insurer.

If you are not covered for it, go to www.PlasticSurgery.org and pick several Plastic surgeons to meet with and see which one you like the best.

Breast reduction

+1

You certainly can opt to have a breast reduction if you feel that your breasts are too large. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is a first step.

Breast reduction in an athlete

+1

I would try a conventional breast reduciton. If you are seeking alternatives, liposuction could produce a modest improvment but not a dramatic decrease.

Breast reduction for athlete with DD breasts

+1

What can you do the decrease the size of your breasts? A BREAST REDUCTION surgery. Go seek 3 opinions from boarded PS's in your area.

From MIAMI DR. B