I Am Day 6 PO from TT, Extensive MR (5 Inch Diastasis)& Lipo - Horribly Swollen. When Will It Improve? I Look Worse Than Before

I am day 6 PO from TT, extensive MR (5 inch diastasis)& lipo - I am horribly swollen. When will it improve? I look worse than before the surgery. I was prepared for swelling but not like this. Please tell me this will improve soon.

Swelling after tummy tuck and liposuction

+2

Hi,

You need reassurance from your plastic surgeon that there is nothing needing immediate attention and that you are on the correct post op recovery path. 

Having said that, 6 days post op with swelling is very much expected.  You have retained fluid from the anesthesia infusions at the table, from the trauma of the surgery and from the tumescent fluid that was given to you prior to the liposuction (you probably got it and it stays around for some time). 

You need to look to week 3 or so.  Your weight now would probably be MORE than your pre op weight because of the normal fluid retention process.

Be patient.....this is a process...not a week and presto !

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.   Albany, New York

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Unexpected swelling after an abdominoplasty with liposuction

+2

It is not unusual to expect some degree of swelling after any surgery.  This can be compounded when liposuction is performed in addition to an abdominoplasty.  It may be not what you expected and this may be the biggest concern.  Express your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  You just want to be sure that you do not have any bleeding under the skin flap, or a hematoma.   This would need to be surgically explored and the bleeding stopped. Use your judgement and call if you think it is a problem. 

Horribly Swollen. When Will It Improve? I Look Worse Than Before

+2

Without photos, preferably from both before surgery and now, any reassurance may be false reassurance. 

But most patients have swelling and the swelling will improve. There are some things that might need to be addressed if they are present--particularly fluid collections--blood or serum (hematoma, seroma). Your surgeon can tell you if either is an issue. 

Patience.

All the best.

Severe Swelling after TT and Liposuction

+1

In general you body contour will continue to improve over the next several weeks to months especially if you had liposuction.  Continue to wear your compression garment and keep your follow up appointments with your PS.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS