At What Age is It Safe to Have Smart Lipo?

My 20-year-old son wants Smart Lipo on his abdomen. I don't know if being so young matters. What age is safe for someone to have Smart Lipo?

There are no physical contraindications

+2

DJW,

There are no physical contraindications to Smartlipo for your son, age 20. As long as he is psychologically well adjusted and understand risks and benefits of the procedure, he should be fine.

Smartlipo may be a good choice for him, since it does not require general anesthesia and has a minimal recovery time.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York City

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Age is Relative

+1

Hi-

I think the most important things to understand about the safety of any aesthetic procedure in a young person is not necessarily the age of the patient, but their general health and their level of maturity and understanding of the procedure involved, its risks, and the recovery they should expect.

An otherwise healthy young man of 20 years with a healthy perspective on his aesthetic goals and a clear understanding of the procedure involved, with its most likely recovery period and all possible risks, is a good candidate (provided his concerns are verified on exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist) and is likely to have a good experience and outcome.

Please be careful to also remember that the machine used is not nearly as important as choosing your surgeon. Just as in anything else, the "carpenter is more important than the tools", if you will.

I personally am not a big believer in the benefits of laser assisted liposuction (like SmartLipo)- After trying all of them, I have found it to be of no benefit over other, I believe safer techniques like VASER Lipo.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.