Best Chemical Peel At Home

There are many facial peels advertised and i wonder why these arent just as good as going to a facialist or spa. If you recommend home peels, what concentration is safe but effective at removing hyperpigmentation and sun damage?

At Home Kits Are Not a Good Idea

+5

Your question is an excellent one. I have seen 'at home' kits on ebay using the same medication that I would use in my office with very close follow up and the possibility of severe complications. There are some at home chemical peels which can be used along the lines of glycolic acid or alpha hydroxy acid peels. These help to exfoliate the skin but will not do anything for dark spots or wrinkles. Before you use any of these, I would suggest talking with your facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist to ensure that it is safe.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Peels and Medical Chemical Peels

+3

There are hundreds or thousands of different types of chemical peels. Very light peels offered by a spa can improve skin texture for a very short period of time, exfoliating the skin to make it feel softer and smoother. This type of peel is very inexpensive with no downtime and limited results.

Very deep chemical peels can get rid of acne scars, smokers lines and turn back the clock 10 - 15 years. This kind of peel is very expensive with general anesthesia required, several weeks of downtime and amazing results for the right patient.

This is why all chemical peels are not created equal and why the type of peel you use depends on the type of results you desire. There's nothing to prevent you from solving your skin problem with a facial peel at a spa. But if it doesn't work to solve your problem, understand that there are much more effective solutions available at a medical facility.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Peels vary by depth of effect

+2

All peels (whether they are chemical, laser, or mechanical) create a mild burn, somewhere between first and second degree. The body's response to the burn is what yields the results. With chemical peels, the depth is determined by the agent used, concentration of agent, and time applied. The "at home" products are weak agents, as they have a wide safety margin. They also yield a minimal result. Deeper peels give more of a result because they result in a deeper second degree burn. Agents used for deeper peels are dangerous, as they can result in scarring if used improperly. For this reason, the more powerful agents are restricted to use by physicians. It is certainly reasonable to use the home products (as directed), but if they are not giving the results that you desire, consult with a physician who performs deeper peels.

Regards,

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

"At Home" stuff isn't as strong

+2

"At Home" kits aren't as strong as the in-office agents your surgeon will provide. If you use "At Home" stuff, I tell patients to take it easy and rely upon repetition to provide results. Your chances of hurting yourself are greater when you do it yourself sometimes. Just be careful.

Your results won't equal what I can do in the office, but then again they aren't professional strength and that might OK. The best things patients can do with less risk for hyperpigmentation and sun damage are using over the counter bleaching creams and a good sun screen.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

At home Chemical Peels Vs. in office Chemical Peels.

+1
At home chemical peels are going to be less effective than one from a licensed professional due to the at home chemical peels having a lower percentage of active ingredient and a higher ph balance. Therefore they deliver less exfoliation and are not as strong as a in office peel and will not reduce hyperpigmentation effectively.  It is always best to see a professional who can recommend the proper Chemical Peel for your skin type.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Home peels will always be less effective than medical spa grade treatments

+1
Not all peels are created equal. Home kits contain lower concentrations of acids/peeling agents. For your safety, home kits are designed to be “fool-proof” with low risk. If your goal is to effectively remove hyperpigmentation and sun damage, most likely a home peel will offer minimum to no results. Your best bet is to schedule a consultation with a medical spa. After a thorough analysis of your skin’s condition, a treatment plan will be determined. Also, plan on receiving a series of peels to achieve your desired result.

Important: beware of medical grade peels being sold online. Logically, if a peel is labeled “medical grade” or “professional strength” play it safe and leave the treatment up to the medical professionals and licensed spa professionals.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Best Chemical Peel At Home

+1

There is no strong effective chemical peel for safe home usage.  The type of peel at a spa is usually very superficial and will help the skin for a short period of time. However, the stronger peels should be done in the office so that they can be monitored closely during the procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Best at home chemical peels

+1

Most peels designed for home use are very mild and the improvement is minimal.  When you compare the cost of the peel to the outcome, you may decide the value is minimal.  I suggest medical grade peels in a plastic surgeon or dermatologist office. Medical grade peels will stimulate more collagen and improve the skin overall.

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Advertised home peels- are they for you?

+1

Dont try it! Get on a good regimen. Dermatologists who dispense from their offices have a lot of great products which can allow you to get into the action at home without sacrificing your skin's beauty! Its better to be on a regimen of advancing glycolic acid strengths (such as glytone, citrix line, Obagi's line) and/or use a retinoid to achieve the results you want in a controlled, continous fashion. A "home peel kit" amy seem like a good quick fix but, remember, one aggressive treatment can leave you with hyperpigmentation and possible scarring that could take months to fix! Besides, caring for your skin is an ongoing process....best to remind it to behave on a regular basis!

Marcy Alvarez, DO
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Be careful with "at home" chemical peels

+1

There are chemical peels designed to be administered by professionals, and chemical peels designed to be used at home by untrained people.  The difference?  The at home peel has to be weaker, ie safer, as it will be in the hands of someone who has not been trained.  The effects will be less dramatic.  Unless you have a skin condition, a product designed to be used at home may be safe to use as long as you follow the directions.  Don't expect, however, the same results as a professional strength peel.  If the peel you are planning to use is a professional strength peel that you managed to buy despite being a layperson, my recommendation is to not use it.  There is a much greater risk of complications.

Dina D. Strachan, MD