Can Asymmetry over a Year After Rhinoplasty Be Due to Swelling Or Is This My Final Result?

I had a closed rhinoplasty procedure done 15 months ago. I don't think any grafts were used but the bones were broken due to a deviated septum. I had the tip refined but am still noticing a hard bulge on the side that I sleep on leaving my tip looking and feeling asymmetric. They gave me a steroid shot around 4 months after the procedure which helped but worsened allergies post-op contributed to prolonged swelling. Am I not being patient enough or could this be the final result?

Rhinoplasty

+1

This far out what you see is what you got and it should not change much more. Placing shaping sutures or grafts in the tip in a closed fashion can be problematic and inaccurate. You need to see your original surgeon for possible revision. If that does not workout for any reason you need to get copies of your original operative report/photos so that other prospective surgeons can know what you started with, what you had done, what you ended up with and then be able to plan appropriate revision surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

When to get concerned after Rhinoplasty

+1

As a general rule, cosmetic surgeons usually feel that no significant changes occur after a year. In your case, if the bump or asymmetry is unchanging, a visit to your doctor is in order. If the swelling comes and goes, and is related to your allergic congestion, this may indicate no relationship with the surgery, but to allergic inflamation  causing turbinate enlargement which could affect the external appearence of the nose. So, consult with your surgeon, and if he does not comment on allergic changes and appropriate treatment, perhaps you should seek an evaluation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who should have extensive knowledge of allergic nasal conditions.

Good luck, and I hope this was beneficial.

Maurice P. Sherman, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results 15 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

There wiill be very minor changes or improvement 15 months after your rhinoplasty. You have been very patient,  but it is time to discuss your appearance with your surgeon and/or get a 2nd opinion regarding the possible need for revision surgery. 

Rhinoplasty Result Stable After One Year

+1

It would be fair to say that at more than one year after surgery you are seeing the final rhinoplasty result. If there are noticeable asymmetries or irregularities, you will need to consider revisional surgery for any further improvement.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

The nose is a very sensitive area.  It can take a very long time for the nose to soften and for the swelling to dissipate. This can take a year or more in some patients.

Rhinoplasty results are permanent at1 year.

+1

Rhinoplasty results are pea ent at 1 year. See your doctor  about your result and possible revision.

Swelling

+1

At one year you are probably close to complete. I suggest you talk to your surgeon about your concerns. Also, second opinions might be in order but, be careful and pick people with extensive experience

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty swelling can last up to a year.

+1

Rhinoplasty swelling can last up to a year.  After a year any asymmetries or areas of fullness are the final result of the surgery.  After a full year it is also safe to proceed with a revision rhinoplasty.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years and IMHO it's most likely that at 15 months post Rhinoplasty you have the final results +/- say a couple of percent.