Asymmetry 5 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I have some concerns with regards to my left nostril 5 weeks post open septorhinplasty, cartilage grafts, adenoidectomy and trimming of turibance. The shape seems to be more round than oval and is obviously asymettrical from the front and sides. This nostril is where the incision was made, and has settled over the first few weeks as I literally looked like a pig to start with! Will this continue to settle or will I have to have surgery down the track? I was not warned of any asymettry pre surgery.

Asymmetry 5 weeks after rhinoplasty?

+1

5 weeks is still soon after rhinoplasty, and you are in the early stages of healing. Asymmetry is not uncommon, and is usually a result of swelling if your procedure was performed correctly. In general, the side effects of rhinoplasty include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Asymmetry
3) Bruising
4) Blood tinged nasal discharge for the first 48-72 hours after surgery
5) Irregularities that improve over time

The round shape you notice is a result of swelling. And it is not uncommon for the tip to be turned up following surgery resulting in what patients describe as a "pig-like" appearance.  It usually settles to its final position within a few weeks after your procedure, and this may take a little longer depending on the patient. Don't worry about asymmetry at this stage. It is still early, and you have a good amount of healing to do. Good communication with your surgeon is essential, and I would recommend communicating your current and any future concerns with him or her. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

With open rhinoplasty the healing time at best is 6 months. So you need to wait it out as we say. Best to discuss in more detail with your surgeon. 

Assymetry post rhinoplasty

+1

It is not possible to assess the final result this soon after your surgery. Swelling will take some weeks to settle and in that time there will be changes in the shape of the nose and the nostrils. Be assured and encouraged by the positive changes you have seen in the last few weeks and give it some time. By all means discuss your concerns with the surgeon. I hope that is of some help

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry Following Rhinoplasty

+1

You have had a lot of surgery performed on your nose.  It will take weeks to months to see the final result.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Asymmetry following Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Five weeks after rhinoplasty is too early to determine the final result. You had a lot of surgery on the nose, septum and combined with an open technique, usually will result in prolonged swelling and possibly some early asymmetric appearance. You need to wait at least six to twelve months for the final result. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

+1

It is likely that you had nostril asymmetry before surgery. However, with swelling from the surgery it may be exaggerated.

Rhinoplasty asymmetry may improve with time.

+1

Hi.

You do have some asymmetry, but my guess is that this will become less and less of an issue with time.  In any case, wait a full six months before even considering a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)