Asymmetry 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

I had a septoplasty/rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago today and am beginning to be concerned about asymmetry that does not seem to be improving. The entire bridge/tip seem to be canted over to one side slightly, and one side looks a bit more pinched than the other. My doctor did tell me that he had to be more aggressive with the osteotomy on one side, so I'm hoping that residual swelling in that side is responsible for the apparent asymmetry. Should I be concerned at this point?

Asymmetry 5 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is appropriate to be concerned, but you cannot determine the final result 5 weeks after surgery. Swelling frequently does not resolve symmetrically. Continue followup with your surgeon until healing is complete which will take at least 6-9 months.

5 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

At fice weeks it is difficult to see the final result.  There may be asymmetric swelling or there may not be. Give it some time to heal.

What to expect after cosmetic nose surgery

+1

Dear Rhinoplasty Patient from Florida,
This is a very common concern and anxiety that is experienced by rhinoplasty patients. Generally,  by the end of the fifth week, the nose is starting to take some of its permanent shape, but is difficult for patients to see what it will look like long-term. By the end of the 6th months, it is really getting close to the final look. Talk to your surgeon for more guidance regarding asymmetry. Good luck and good healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Still early in the healing process

+1

at 5 weeks, your swelling is starting to resolve, but it is too early to determine if any asymmetry will be permanent. That being said, I would recommend close follow-up with your surgeon- if things do not even out, they will be in the best position to do a revision procedure since they know what was done at the initial surgery.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Be Patient, you are way too early to worry

+1

At 5 weeks you are just beginning to see the swelling resolve.  Unless there was some intervening problem like an injury to the nose I would be watching this for several months and probably not consider any revision for at least 6 months.  Good Luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon