Asymmetry Problems at 6 Months, Post-op? (photo)

Hello! I am almost 7 months post-op (silicone, 350 smooth round) and am wondering if I should be concerned with asymmetry at this point. I notice that my right breast (looking at the photograph) is bigger than my left breast and points away from my chest bone. I don't know if perhaps I am imagining things, or if they are noticeably different (and therefore, enough of a concern to contact my PS again). Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture. Although your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to discussing your specific situation, some general thoughts regarding breast asymmetry after breast augmentation surgery may be helpful to you.

Firstly, it is difficult to evaluate your situation given that your arms are elevated in the picture. Also, the asymmetry that you are referring to in regards to the right side “pointing away” is visible in the photograph;  I would be willing to wager that if you were to look at your preoperative photographs, this type of asymmetry existed preoperatively.

Overall, the results seems quite  nice to me in the limited photograph. Given that you are wondering about the degree/significance of the asymmetry,  it seems that you would agree. Therefore, understanding that absolute symmetry of the breasts are almost never achieved with or without surgery ( including revisionary breast surgery), you will likely be best off leaving well enough alone.

Remember, that additional surgery carries additional risk/potential complications.

I hope these thoughts,  and the attached link, help.

Breast Enhancement

+1
Overall I think you have a great result, I would want to see your pre-op picture but i would guess you had some asymmetry before and the implants brought it out more

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast implant settling

+1

It appears as though the pocket on the left needs to be tightened in the lower portion in order to raise the implant and lower the nipple.  You might also need a larger implant or higher profile to help out the situation.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Most every patient has some degree of asymmetry naturally, and some have more than others.  Your pre-operative asymmetry should be documented by your plastic surgeon, but is the likely cause of your postoperative asymmetry.  This is very normal.  The augmentation process makes each breast larger versions of themselves, and so if one nipple naturally lies a little differently than the other, this will persist after a simple augmentation.  Ask you PS about your concerns. 

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

Most people have some natural asymmetry.  It may not be obvious to us before surgery because we are used to seeing it as "normal".  In other words, most paired body parts are normal, they usually aren't even.  As others have suggested, it is best to sit down with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  From the photo you posted, the result looks pretty good, but it is best to review your before pictures to get a better idea.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Modest asymmetry probably should be accepted after breast augmentation.

+1

Photograph is of not particularly good quality. It looks as though the breasts are reasonably symmetrical. If this is the case I would probably leave well enough alone. Your plastic surgeon will not have any difficulty discussing the situation with you.

Asymmetry Problems at 6 Months, Post-op?

+1

Posted photo took dark. Second need a before photo to compare. My guess is you have an acceptable result. 

Breast asymmetry after implants

+1

Some breast asymmetry is normal. It is difficult to see the photos to well because the image is pretty dark.  At 7 months this is likely permanent.

Breast asymmetry 7 months postop

+1

The asymmetry you report will likely stay at this point.  However, you should review your preoperative photos with your surgeon, because chances are that these same asymmetries were probably present before surgery.  Look at the photos objectively. Then discuss with your surgeon what options may be available to satisfy your desired look, if possible.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry Problems at 6 Months,

+1

As always, preop photos are essential when discussing post op asymmetry.

The postop photo is helpful , but not ideal--arms should be at your sides, and the entire breast should be in the photo. Unfortunately, I can't tell too much from the posted photo. The breasts look reasonably even, but I again, I am not seeing enough on the picture. 

I would suggest contacting your surgeon about any issues you may have with the outcome. 

All the best.