Asymmetry/nose Twisting to One Side 7 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty procedure done almost 7 weeks ago. While I have loved everything so far in the initial healing process, in the past week I've started to notice some asymmetry in the bridge and tip, making my nose appear to twist toward the right side. I can also see some of my septum in the left nostril but not my right, and my left nostril seems to be reaching in the same direction as the twisting. I am very concerned I may need revision! Will this continue to get worse or improve with time?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Nose Asymmetry

+1

While it is possible that you have some nasal asymmetry post surgery, it is quite difficult to comment definitively without better photos and a physical exam.  I would recommend discussing your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry/nose twisting to one side 7 weeks after rhinoplasty?

+2

7 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and swelling will be present that will affect the appearance of your final result. Swelling can create the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. I would recommend waiting a bit and see how you continue to heal before coming to any conclusions, as your nose will continue to change. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com/rhinoplasty/

Curvature of the nose can be explained by swelling.

+1

The asymmetry you describe is visible but can easily be caused by swelling. Allow the swelling to completely resolve before becoming critical.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Asymmetry/nose Twisting to One Side 7 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty?

+1

Very hard o see the true issues of the posted photos. You need IN PERSON second opinions to determine the post operative problems. 

+1

Dear Samantha,

thank you for your question and photos.  It is difficult to see exactly what is going on from these photos.  However, in general, swelling dissipates with time showing the structures underneath more clearly. This may also happen assymetrically.  It is way to early in your healing process to determine the need for revision.  It can take 6 months to a year for this.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nasal changes after rhinoplasty

+1

Without having been involved in your surgery and knowing what lies underneath the swelling evident in your pictures, it's very difficult to predict whether the asymmetry will improve or worsen.  The one thing that is for sure is that you are still very early in your healing process, and it may take a full year before the final results of this surgery are evident.  

Final rhinoplasty results impacted by healing

+1

Hello Samantha,

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Perhaps no other surgery that we do as plastic surgeons is so dependent on the healing process for final result.  Since the nose is largely cartilage the healing process can affect the final shape and contour after rhinoplasty.  It is hard to know how much change will occur but it is unlikely that the shape change will reverse itself with time.  When everything stabilizes in shape you can evaluate your desire for a revision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=31&StartRow=1