Asymmetry in breasts, how to go about finding a solution?

I am 18 years old, my left breast is about half a cup to a full cup size larger than my right. This has been a issue ever since I was 12, I'm looking at alternatives, and I'm fond of the idea of having a fat transfer to my right breast. How much does a fat transfer cost and did you have to be a certain weight to get this procedure done?

Update: added photo

BBA

+2

I think fat grafting can help but you may also need a mastopexy to get better symmetry.  You need to be examined in person by a BC PS in your area.

Correcting Breast Asymmetry

+1
Some visible breast asymmetry occurs in approximately 90% of women, and more significant degrees of asymmetry such as in your case are relatively common. Procedures to correct asymmetry include reducing the larger breast and placement of implants in one or both breasts. Fat transfer for breast enhancement is gaining acceptance but still has limitations, including the need for sufficient fat, the incomplete survival of the fat being transferred, and the need for more than one procedure to get the desired volume increase. That being said, unless you are very thin, it is likely that you could get enough fat to enhance the smaller breast by a half to 1 cup. It is difficult to give a cost estimate without an examination, but in general the cost would be as much or greater than breast augmentation. Best of luck!

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I would need to see some more pictures but it looks like an asymmetrical lift on your left may bring you into closer symmetry

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Asymmetry in Breasts

+1
Thank you for your question. I would recommend waiting another 2-3 years. Breast asymmetry is not uncommon, and if you intervene too soon, you will have to do another surgery. If you want that risk, then you can do something now, but the risk is there. A fat transfer can work, but sometimes the fat absorbs, and you are left with only a bill. You must also be willing to take the risk of the fat not growing. Most do fine, but some just do not do as well. All are different, heal differently, and outcomes are not always perfect. Most do just fine, but we inform all there is always a risk of a suboptimal outcome. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

There are many different approaches to breast asymmetry.  Rather than fat injection to the right breast, consider liposuction to the left one.  Much more predictable and simpler.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Asymmetry

+1

Its very difficult to make any assessments based on your photo.  To get any meaningful advice or recommendations, I would suggest you visit with a board certified PS in your area for a formal consultation.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast

+1

I do believe that a better view is necessary in order to best advice you. This picture doesn´t really let me see your complete breast.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Correction of breast asymmetry

+1

Thank you for your question.  I agree with others that you need a formal examination by a board certified plastic surgeon to properly diagnose what is causing your asymmetry and come up with a reasonable solution.

Fat grafting can certainly be done to increase the volume of the smaller breast.  However at most asymmetries there is a difference in nipple position and the position of the inframammary crease the crease beneath your breast.  In these cases volume increase alone will not give a symmetrical look.   If you scroll down to the last photograph in the link below you will see the correction of asymmetry with a mastopexy and breast implant.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation with Fat Grafting to improve breast asymmetry

+1
The best way to determine a surgical solution for your breast asymmetry would be through a face to face consultation with your local Plastic Surgeons. Without an exam or photos it is difficult to provide you with an accurate plan to improve your breast asymmetry. Fat transfer for breast augmentation is a good option. But, not all patients are good candidates for this breast augmentation surgery. Other options may include a Breast Reduction for the larger breast or a Breast Implant for the smaller breast. Thank you for your question. For more information about fat transfer for breast augmentation, please visit the following page. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Fat Transfer was Invented for You!

+1
Improving symmetry for different sized breasts is exactly why fat transfers were developed. This is a perfect way to naturally improve symmetry of the breasts without having to insert an implant. Typically this will take only 100-200cc (mL) of fat which, no matter how skinny you may be, is a very easy amount to harvest from the abdomen or thighs by using the liposuction technique. Follow the link below to check pricing on "Fat Injections to Breasts to Improve Symmetry."

Jonathan Kaplan, MD, MPH