Will my Asymmetry Improve with Time?

My right breast was smaller going into surgery (about half a cup size), and unfortunately I experienced a hematoma on that side the day after my procedure.

At my post-op visits, my PS has assured me the right side will look more like the left after the scar tissue softens. He said scar tissue often peaks at 4-5 weeks post-op (sometimes longer) and after that point the right breast should start softening and dropping more. It feels as if the left side is almost a cup size bigger than the right!

Sweling after breast augmentation.

+3

It sounds like there may be a few things going on after your augmentation.  I assume a larger implant was placed on the right side.  Did you have silicone or saline implants?  I would wait for a while longer and then if asymmetry is not resolved, discuss a solution with your plastic surgeon.

Wishing you all the best,

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Asymmetrical breast implants after breast hematoma

+2

At the end of an augmentation procedure we like to see breasts which are as even and symmetrical as possible. If your have had a hematoma, still after the area has been drained and treated we would hope our result was fairly even. The rate of a capsular contracture is perhaps 25%, and scar tissue in the breast can slowly increase for a year or two, pushing the implant up higher. It is hard to tell just what the situation is though, seems early for scar or capsule, perhaps a pocket issue. Time will tell.

peterejohnsonmd

Asymmetry after breast augmentation and hematoma will get better over time, but may never match exactly.

+2

I think that without more information you should trust what your surgeon is telling you. I assume your hematoma was drained surgically, not wrapped with an ace bandage or surgical bra. I assume that until you developed your hematoma your early result looked relatively symmetrical. I also assume that if your breasts didn't match exactly before surgery, different size implants improved on your symmetry, and that exact symmetry was NOT achieved nor was that a reasonable expectation. I assume that your left breast does not have a hematoma of its own, because if it does and was not drained as your right one was, that could account for some of your present discrepancy. As you can see, there are more questions than answers without the benefit of more information or a physical examination. Your surgeon has this advantage, as well as knowing exactly what went on in the operating room at surgery (both times).

So for now, you should be patient, and follow your surgeon's advice. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Most probably will not

+2
Breast augmentation is to enlarge the breast and not to make them symmetrical. You improve as time passes.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon