Can Asymmetry Be Due to Swelling or More Likely a Bad Rasping Job?

I am a little over 1 month post-op after having my nasal bone rasped on the top and left side. My nose seems to be more asymmetrical than before. While I see a slight improvement in the profile view, the frontal view looks horrendous! My nose seems to be also curved to the right. Is this just uneven swelling? or did my PS not do a thorough enough job? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated because I'm extremely nervous the procedure left me worse off.

Asymmetry after nasal bones rasping

+1

One moth is too early to assess reults.  Wait 3-6  months and see how things look after all the swelling has gone and al the scarring has matured.  It is hard to create a real problem just with a rasp....

Concersn about the appearance of a rhinoplasty 1 month postoperatively

+1

Without any photos, an accurate assessment of your situation is impossible. Your questions would best be answered by your surgeon. You should be aware that one month is still early yet to assess the outcome of the rhinoplasty. It can take up to a year and even sometimes more to be able to appreciate the more "final" result.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Is asymmetry from swelling or a bad Rhinoplasty?

+1

I cringe when people ask us, on this forum, if their current surgeon (Rhinoplasty, Cheek Implants, etc.) has performed a "bad job".  I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and it does take months for the swelling to resolve after a Rhinoplasty, not days or even a few weeks. 

Give yourself and your Rhinoplasty surgeon the benefit of doubt and wait several more months to see what your nose looks like at that time.  I think it's just not professional to criticize other surgeons and their work or organizations on this forum...but that's MHO.

1 month following rhinoplasty is too early to see the final result

+1

1 month following rhinoplasty is too early to see the final result. However, if you are concerned please return to your surgeon to discuss further. There is enough swelling left in the nose at 1 month that it's difficult to assess what changes will take place during the next several months of healing. It is possible that the asymmetry is due to edema (swelling) or weakness in the middle third of the nose which is cartilage (as previously mentioned). It is also possible that the bone was shaped or reduced asymmetrically. If this is the case your surgeon will be able to tell you once your swelling has resolved. If this is the case it can be remedied with either a small amount of dermal filler or a surgical revision where the asymmetry is corrected permanently.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping

+1

Even at one month it is too early to tell. Let the healing process proceed and consult with your surgeon before panicking.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Asymmetry of nose after surgery

+1

This question, and your anxiety are best addressed directly with the operating surgeon.  Without a photo, it is impossible for an online plastic surgeon to comment.

In general, slight asymmetries of the nasal dorsum may be easily improved with injectable products... One of my favorite is Radiesse, but the hyaluronic acid products also work well.  Aquamid, not yet available in the US, can fix minor asymmetries permanently. 

If there is a curvature due to the nasal septum, which is often the case, simple rasping of the top of your nose will not correct the situation.  A much more extensive procedure is usually required.

Steve Laverson, MD

Uneven nasal rasping

+1
It's really hard to answer this without seeing what you are talking about. It is certainly possibly to get an uneven job of rasping but what I am concerned about is that after lowering the honey bump with the rasp it revealed some unevenness that you had with the cartilaginous portion of the bridge of the nose. Also, if you had any collapse of the one of the side wall cartilages it may be more apparent now. You should discuss with your surgeon and go over your prep photos as well. Make sure the unevenness wasn't there beforehand.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty at one month

+1

At one month it is way too early to see the final result.  It takes months for the swelling to come down.  Give it time, and then re--evaluate.