Asymmetry Due to Difference in Suture Line on Each Eye? (photo)

Hi, thanks in advance for feedback.. I just had sutures removed today for an upper bleph. It was conservative you can see I had some hooding in the before. My ps covered each eye as he was performing surgery and then applied steri strips after so I could not see suture line. After removing stitches, I notice the suture line is different on each eye. It makes them look uneven both open and closed. I know it's only been six days but can this resolve on its own? I dread thinking I need a revision.

Assymetrical suture line after upper lid blepharoplasty

+2

Since your upper lids were not symmetrical prior to surgery, it is not unusual for the suture lines not to be symmetrical.  Allow yourself another month or so for the swelling to resolve before judging your results.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Good luck!

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid crease asymmetry

+2

Eyelid crease asymmetry is not uncommon in patients, as everyones face is slightly asymmetrical. If that was the case preoperatively, then usually, I will try to even the creases during the surgery.

In your case, there is still significant swelling present. As that diminishes, your asymmetry will also lessen with time, so that it may not be very noticeable with your eyes open.

Wait at least 6 months before considering revision.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry Due to Difference in Suture Line on Each Eye?

+2

Posted photos are too small but you are still very very early in the healing phase to be this concerned. Allow 2 to 3 weeks  more of healing and I believe you will not be able to see a major difference. Always best to discuss in person with your chosen surgeon. 

Postop asymmetry

+2
it's very, very early so don't rush to judgment. Scarring may settle down. Definitely share your concern with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I agree that the suture lines look ugly.

+2

They are also asymmetric.  However, you are so early.  WIth your eyes open these suture lines are hidden.  In time and with healing, this area will look so much better.  Try to be patient with yourself and your surgeon.  I do not really see anything in your photos that would suggest at this point that you need to think about a revision.  Relax and enjoy the ride.

Asymmetry after surgery

+2

The asymmetric height of the incision is noticeable, but it is still quite early.  I would ask your surgeon about it and keep close follow-up.  Give it time to completely heal before making any decision on revision as these things often settle out with time.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery incisions should be symmetrical.

+1

Hi.

Of course it is very early, but there is no question that the right scar is higher.  You may eventually need a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)