Asymmetry 5 days after rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty on Monday. Im at home now cleaning up some of the blood around my nose and I know there's obviously swelling and that full results take 1+ YEAR to show. But I notice the top or 'rim' of my nostrils are asymmetric....one is a bit lower than the other. I dont know if thats because of swelling but it just seems like it's not something that will adjust after the swelling goes down. Im aware perfect symmetry is never possible but Im already a little nervous about this.

Asymmetry 5 days after rhinoplasty?

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Nostril Rim Asymmetry

+1

Nasal tip and nostril asymmetry during the first few weeks may be related to swelling, tape placement, an internal nasal splint, etc. Best to not "over analyze" at this point and follow up with your surgeon. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmtery at 5 days after rhinoplasty

+1

If your surgoen did not touch your alar rims. then more than likely they were asymmetric to begin with and at this point you have to allow the swelling to subside.

Don't analyze. Just Follow Your Care Instructions!

+1

I tell my patients after rhinoplasty they might as well take the mirrors down in the house for a week. Don't even try to notice how your nostrils or nose look! The swelling, the sutures, the cast, and even any intranasal splints ALL can temporarily alter what you see. Do not get anxious. Deep breaths. Relax. When you traverse the healing process, you will see the nose change steadily and for the better.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon