When Does Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty Become Less Pronounced?

I am 18 days post-op after a septo-rhinoplasty. My hump was removed and my tip was narrowed and lifted. My swelling is gradually decreasing by the day, but my nose is still asymmetrical, and is leaning to the right. Basically, one of my nostrils looks higher than the other, and it's noticeable. I know this is a common complaint after surgery, as the swelling subsides at different rates on either side, but when can I expect my nose to look symmetrical?

Too soon for permanent asymmetry after a rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS