Asymmetry After Necklift

I had a bleed underneath my jawline after necklift surgery. This caused my tissues underneath my skin to thicken. My left jawline is bigger then my right jawline. It is very, very noticeable. Is there anything that can correct asymmetry due to scar tissue build up?

Likely will require revisional surgery...I would wait at least 6 months before proceeding

+1

likely will require revisional surgery...I would wait at least 6 months before proceeding.  Make sure to follow up with your surgeon.

Hematoma after necklift or liposuction may resolve

+1

It depends on how long after surgery you are. If there is much fibrosis (collagen) that was produced from the hematoma, and it is more than six months after surgery, you may need more involved treatment, which carries its own risk. If it's only several weeks, you'll probably be able to get a quicker resolution with external ultrasound and warm compresses and gentle massage.  If hematomas are urgently addressed, there are times that drainage helps lessen the secondary collagen formation. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

Asymmetry After Necklift

+1

If you are soon after surgery, then have to wait several months to allow for the swelling to go down. This may improve or resolve by then. Otherwise, you will have to consider other options depending on the cause. Your surgeon should be able to determine what the cause is and then treat it accordingly. For scars, steroid injection will soften it.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after neck lift many options exist

+1

There are many options in this situation. It depends on how long it was done as well.  Some of this can come down over weeks, months and even years sometimes.  If this thickening persists here are the options: 1. you can inject steroids conservatively to decrease the volume and thickness of the skin; 2. You can consider doing more liposuction to reduce the volume and thickness as well; 3. You can carry out another neck lift to resect the scar directly; 4. You can augment the other side to match (through fat and fillers); 5. You can consider mesotherapy to reduce the fat on the bigger side to match the other side.

I would love to see pictures. Please send them to me from our contact page on our website!

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excess scar after hematoma from Face Lift

+1

Without seeing specific photos, of the area, I'd say time is your best choice.  Hematomas after Face Lift disrupt tissues and cause loosening of tightened SMAS layer and skin. 

Scar tissue after neck lift

+1

Residual blood that collected under the skin will turn into scar tissue by the body. This will often soften on its own over time, but is some situations it may help to inject a dilute steroid into the area to help soften up the scar. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see what would be the best course of action.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asymmetry after neck lift

+1

It would be helpful to know how long after your surgery are your current issues occuring.  In the acute postoperative period, uneven swelling or fluid collections may result in the perception of uneven appearance to the neck.  Also be sure to sleep in a neutral position and not with one side of your neck more gravity-dependent than the other.  Talk to your original surgeon about your concerns.  Most likely, your issues will even out over time.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric neck firmness after face lift / neck lift

+1

It sounds as if you had a hematoma in which blood accumulated under you neck skin. Your body typically will resorb that blood over time which can vary from person to person, but can take months. If the firmness doesn't seem to be resolving as expected, your doctor might inject some dilute steroids into the area to speed up that process.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical neck after necklift surgery

+1

While the hardness you are feeling and the asymmetry is present, it typically resolves over time leaving similar results between the two sides. It can take up to six months or so to improve. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Surgery

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  Also without more clinical information, it is hard to answer your question.  For instance, if you are only a few weeks after surgery, you will likely be okay as the swelling resolves and the tissues soften.  However, if you are six months after surgery and still have asymmetry the you may need additional procedures.  Hopefully you have discussed your concerns with your surgeon.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD