Asymmetry After Jowl Liposuction

I had facial lipo 8 months ago and revision lipo two weeks ago to correct the remaining jowls. The right side already looks slim and firm. The left side still has the fat jowl. I know it's early to judge results, but this definitely doesn't feel like swelling, only like soft fat, just like before the revision. How long to I need to wait for a second revision? Is there any alternative to lipo to remove the small area of fat on my left jowl, like laser or ultra sound?

Asymmetry After Liposuction

+1

I would recommend to wait for a few months to ensure that it is not due to swelling. Some other reasons behind asymmetry is excess skin due to previous liposuction surgeries or facial asymmetry which existed preoperatively. If the area on the left jowl is due to fat, then liposuction can be done again. However, you should wait at least 4-6 months to ensure that there is no more swelling. 

Alternatives to Facial Liposuction

+1

2 weeks after liposuction is very early to evaluate your results (good or bad). There are many alternatives to liposuction to correct facial aging and I would certainly suggest talking with your facial plastic surgeon about your concerns.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl touchups with lipodissolve inejctions and Skin Tyte treatments work well

+1

You are certainly correct that two weeks after your last jowl liposuction that it is too early to tell if significant improvement has been obtained. I would say that you need to wait at least three months before making a critical assessment. If some jowl fat still remains, you can consider lipodissolve injections and some skin tightening treatment such as Skin Tyte in combination. I have this to be very successful with small areas of jowl fat and sagging.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction of the jowls

+1

I am not a big fan of liposuction of the face in most cases.  Remember facial aysmmetry also means laxity differences between the two sides which may account for the difference.

Facial liposuction is not indicated unless patient is very over weight

+1

There are very few indication for the facial liposuction. There is severe facial fat loss with aging and you can look at people at their 80's to confirm this. You have sagging tissue and liposuction will not help. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon or send pictures

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Persistent fat after liposuction

+1

If the area is truly persistent fat that is asymmetric compared with the other side, then liposuction peformed again may remove more fat. Treatment of the jowl does have a small risk of a nerve injury that needs to be taken into account when deciding if you want treatment again as liposuction in scarred tissue can increase the risk. There are no treatments that consistently decrease fat externally. Newer methodologies may advance what has been fabricated to -date, but there is not yet a design for a small area on the face, such as the Zeltiq body CoolSculpting which chills the fat and makes it shrink, as these are designed for the body.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Persistent fatty deposits of face refractory to liposuction

+1

There are numerous techniques which tout benefits of non-surgical or minimally invasive management of localized fatty facial deposits. I am not a beleiver in any of these. Your description of localized fatty deposits of the jowl region that were unresponsive to liposuction lead me to believe that this fat may represent buccal fat.