What Can I Do About Asymmetry 8wks Following Mastoplexy?

Following capsule formation I had encapsulectomy and mastoplexy performed. Scars healing well though not very neat but much worse is the asymmetry between right and left breast visible when wearing a t-shirt or fitted dress. I highlighted concern after 2 wks but was told it needed to settle but now still no better. I wont let my husband see me without a bra, I will only wear baggy tops and I ma very depressed and disappointed at the outcome. I have no faith in PS now. What can I do?

Post op concerns mastopexy

+2

I agree with the comments made here already:  On looking at your photo's you need another opinion. I doubt if your result will improve in symmetry over time.  And, the breasts need some time to recover or "settle" after your recent surgery, so there will be a waiting time before it would be wise to undertake a revision.

As you are UK based, my suggestion is to see Dr Chris Inglefield at London Bridge Plastic Surgery for an opinion.  I know him well and he is a fine and compassionate plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Asymetry

+2

i would express your concern to your surgeon,.  i still would weight six months before doing any type of revision.  they still look swollen  and edematous to me

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy

+2

At eight weeks post operatively,   it is too early to assess your final result. In general, I believe it is best if you continue to express her concerns with your chosen plastic surgeon. If you have truly “lost faith” then it may behoove you to seek a second opinion with a well-trained–experienced plastic surgeon.

Unfortunately, even with pictures, it is not possible to give you good advice; nothing replaces direct physical examination.

Asymmetry...

+2

Listening to your story and seeing your current appearance, I would absolutely suggest to you that you seek another opinion.  It's very difficult from the single photo you submitted to see exactly what's going on.  If you would submit more photos in a standardized way I could probably give you better advice.  Basically, take one photo from the front and one from each side.  Your arms should be at your side and the camera should be at the height of your nipples.  One photo that shows what's going on under your breasts would be helpful as well.  Good luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Asymmetry Revision

+1

You should definitely let it heal and settle, it is still pretty soon after surgery.  If still uneven after 6 months that's when I would go back for a corrective surgery.  Like the other surgeons have said it is completely normal to get a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry following Mastoplexy

+1

From reviewing your photos, you will most likely eed another procedure. You definitely need to communicate your expectations as soon as possible to your surgeon. All the best!

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts after breast augmentation

+1

Your posted photo supports your concerns. You will definitely need additional surgery the question is what, when and by whom. No one can given you specific advise based solely on the limited information in your post and a single photo. We do not know what you looked like before or what exactly was done at surgery. You need to get copies of your records including operative report and photos for prospective surgeons to look at. It may be best to have your current surgeon refer you to a colleague for a second opinion. Sometimes surgeons cannot objectively review their own work. If you do not want anything to do with that surgeon you will need to find another surgeon and bring those records with you.

The referenced web page can help you find to a new surgeon. Be very careful in picking your next surgeon, take your time, make a checklist to compare surgeons...

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mastopexy asymmetry 8 weeks post op

+1

I am sorry you have had a bad experience.  Do not lose hope as a good result is possible.   I do not know what you started off with but the asymmetry that is currently present can be improved.  I would wait a little longer for healing to occurr.  In the meantime I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and get a couple more opinions to verify your options.  You'll have to do your homework and make sure the next plastic surgeon is the right one for you.  Make sure they are board certified, experienced in revision mastopexy or revision breast work, and that they have great before and after photos.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mastopexy

+1

It is not possible to give a complete answer without all of the information and an examination, however I would recommend that you be somewhat more patient.  From the photos, there still appears to be significant "tightness" of the soft tissues and some swelling.  It is definitely too early to perform any type of revision.  Was there significant preoperative asymmetry?  

The lower pole on the left side appears somewhat tight and constricted.  This will almost surely relax over time.  You will likely have ongoing asymmetry, though.  If you do not feel comfortable with or have lost faith in your surgeon, seek out an opinion from a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who can help you with this issue.  Best wishes.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon