Is Asymmetrical Swelling Typical 1 Month After Chin Lipo?

The swelling (if it's actually swelling) under my chin is much worse on one side. Not sure if it was uneven fat left behind or just fluid. I had my surgery done by an experienced Bevery Hills surgeon so I am hoping it's just swelling, like he said it could be, but wanted more opininons. I do know that going into the procedure, I had more fat to remove on the side that now currently looks worse/more swollen. 37 y/o female

Asymmetry and chin lipo

+1

Liposuction of the chin area can frequently cause firmness in the healing process that can take up to a few months to completely resolve. Without pictures it is diffcult to determine whether or not you had some asymmetry prior to the procedure. It is possible that too much fat may have been removed. I would visit with your surgeon to put your mind at ease. If this is a long term result, fat transfer may be of benefit.

Asymmetrical swelling after chin liposuction

+1
From your description it sounds like you had some problems with asymmetry in the preoperative phase. Usually this is taken into account during the surgical procedure so that your end result is symmetrical and aesthetically correct. One month post surgery you may still have some residual swelling that makes the surgical-area appear asymmetric and it may resolve itself. I would go in and see your surgeon and voice your concerns and hopefully he/she will be able to help put your mind at ease. Best regards. Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

One month after chin and neck liposuction, there is not a whole lot of swelling left.

+1

Is it swelling?  Could be but it may also be underlying facial asymmetry, expose of a submandibular gland from removal of the overlying neck fat, or an asymmetric liposuction.  Consider posting you questions here with a photo.

Chin swelling after lipo

+1

I don't think it is unusual at all to have a little asymmetry with the swelling and healing under the chin after neck lipo. I would thin it will take several months for complete healing. If there is still mild asymmetry, then often an injection (of cortisone usually) can be done to even out the area.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist