Asymmetrical Swelling 2 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty?

had a rhinoplasty in mexico in mid-July 2012 for the tip and septum in which I was butchered. 2 months later (mid-september) I went to an rhinoplasty expert in Arizona, paid $5000 for an open procedure to insert the columella back into my face and tip reduction. When the cast first came off I loved it, almost 2 months later I feel kind of jilted. I have asymmetrical swelling on the left side profile view(right side is good). Is there anything I can do besides wait? I can't afford another surgery. My left side profile is uneven my nose is still stiff and numb to the touch...it tingles a little when pressure is applied. What can I do to resolve this?

Asymmetrical swelling following rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing following your surgery. When healing from a rhinoplasty, the best thing is to be patient and wait to see how your healing progresses. Nothing can really be done to resolve the issue in the meantime. It can take up a full year for the final result to be evident. It is not abnormal to have a little bit of tingling, numbness, and asymmetric swelling after two months.

In general, the side effects following a rhinoplasty may include but are not limited to:

1) Moderate pain associated with the surgery
2) Swelling in the nose and around the eyes
3) Congestion
4) Bruising under the eyes
5) Tingling and numbness, which can last longer than the initial recovery period

I would recommend communicating any healing concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery. Thank you, and good luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

2 months is still soon after your surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following your procedure. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it will take some time. Waiting to see how you continue to heal is the best thing you can do at the moment. Using 5-Flourouracil combined with kenalog is a great option for reducing post-operative swelling. There are some possible side effects that may occur such as white spots on the skin and indentation. But I have performed hundreds of these injections with no complications. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon to see what he/she advises to reduce some of your swelling. Thanks and best of luck with your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revision rhinoplasty and asymmetry

+1

You may be noticing exactly that, asymmetric swelling...which may resolve with time.  An experienced revision rhinoplasty second opinion will advise you to just relax and let your body heal. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Right now it is time to be patient.  I know that is hard to do, but little to nothing should be done this early after surgery.  You may want to ask about a Kenalog injection to help even out some of the asymetry.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

2 months after revision rhinoplasty I would expect hardness on the tip as well  "some" asymmetrical swelling. Better not to do anything, and just wait for swelling to resolve, which may take over 1yr.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two months after revision rhinoplasty

+1

If you are two months after revision rhinoplasty then it is too early to do anything more. Let the swelling abate, this may take a year or more.