Are Asymmetrical Nostrils After Rhinoplasty Normal?

Hello, I've had open Rhinoplasty roughly 3 weeks ago i still have a lot of swelling but whats bothering me a lot is the asymmetry in my nostrils thats clearly noticeable from the front and side views. Is this due to swelling?

Fixing Nose Assymetry

+2

If there is a real nostril assymetry, as measured by calipers and not related to swelling or inflammation, it can easily be fixed with simple local anesthesia in 10 minutes. 

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

+2

Most people have some degree of asymmetry of the nostrils. An astute surgeon will point that out during the consultation and offer choices of correction procedures. As the patient  pays a more focused attention to their noses the asymmetry becomes more noticeable.

Zain Kadri, MD

Nostril asymmetry

+1
Nostril asymmetry following rhinoplasty surgery is often exaggerated by swelling. Once a significant amount of the swelling has resolved (6-12 weeks), the asymmetry can be be evaluated. If still aesthetically upsetting there are procedures that can improve the asymmetry. You should consult with your surgeon to discuss possible solutions. Best of Luck. 

George T. Moynihan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry can be due to swelling.

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  Nostril asymmetry, especially if mild, can be due to swelling.  Since you are only 3 weeks after your surgery I would definitely wait longer to assess your final nostril symmetry.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty - asymmetric nostrils

+1

3 weeks is too soon to tell what your final nasal shape will be. It's not uncommon for the nasal swelling to go down on one side of the nose faster than the other so please be patient. Also, most people have slightly asymmetric nostrils.  You may want to review your pre-op photos with your surgeon to see if you had asymmetry prior to surgery. Regardless, if you have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon. I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Asymmetric Nostrils Are Not the Norm After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Best to discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Look at your before pictures to see if there was nostril asymmetry.  Your left nostril appears to be retracted.  Doubt this is due to swelling at this point.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nostril asymmetry after nose job.

+1

The most common cause of nostril asymmetry after surgery is nostril asymmetry prior to surgery. You may be noticing this more due to the amount of attention on your nose. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Nostril Asymmetry

+1

Hi,

Looking at your picture and 3 weeks postop, I dont think your asymmetry is due to swelling. Consult with your surgeon and see what he/she says. You may need a slight revision.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS