Asymmetrical Nipple Correction Procedure

I had a breast reduction in 10/11. Surgery and recovery went great and am very satisfied with results, however I still have asymmetrical nipples. I understood prior to surgery that this could be a possibility but am interested in having it corrected. Just very self conscious about it and tired of keeping them covered with paper tape/band aids. My main question is could this be done in office without having to be put to sleep or would it require IV sedation?

Correction of Asymmetrical Nipple/Areola after Breast Reduction?

+1

Often nipple/areola asymmetries can be  improved upon with relatively “minor” procedures done under local anesthesia in the office environment. Whether this is possible in your case will need to be discussed with your plastic surgeon who knows your situation and his/her capabilities in the office environment.

Asymmetry after reduction

+1

The short answer is: It depends. You should discuss this with your surgeon and if you are not satisfied, or if you want more information, you should seek a  consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of aureolas

+1

Asymmetry of the areola is common before surgery and common after surgery. This can often be treated under local in the office.  This however is patient dependent.

Asymmetrical Areola Correction After Breast Reduction

+1

Asymmetrical areolar shapes and position are not uncommon after breast reduction surgery. Depending upon the type and degree of asymmetry, the areolar shapes may be changed to some degree under local anesthesia. If the areola requires repositioning, this is a more extensive procedure that may necessitate more than just local anesthesia. Pictures of the breasts would be helpful to see what may need to be done.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD