Is There Anything That Can Be Done for my Asymmetrical Implants?

I had a BA 1 wk ago. I had asymmetry preop. My PS didn't want to use 2 diff. cc amounts because he felt it would only create uneven upper pole fullness. So now I just have a magnified version of before. My upper chest is symmetrical and looks good. The right hangs lower, is fuller and projects more but the nipples are even. What can be done to fix my asymmetry,if anything? Thanks!

Breast asymmetry after breast augment

+3

Based on your pre and post op photos I would say that you have an acceptable result. It may not be the result that you were hoping for, but this is not a complication of the surgery, it is a problem with adequate communication between you and the surgeon before surgery. An augment alone is not going to correct asymmetry in nipple position, nor will it completely correct asymmetry in breast size and shape. These are issues that should have been explored in detail pre op.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation asymmetry

+3

Breast augmentation without lifts produces a magnified version of what you had before the surgery, this is true.

Your plastic surgeon has wisely advised you that placing a larger implant on one side will not compensate for asymmetries in nipple height, and will introduce its own problems such as differences in the upper pole.

As every other commentator has noted, you should be pleased with your result.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

Given your pre-operative pictures, your results looks quite good at a week out, although I question whether or not you would have benefitted from a concomitant Benelli mastopexy, at minimum. This in itself would have corrected at least a fair amount of the perceived asymmetry. Having said that, I would give it 6-8 months to allow your breasts to settle and then re-evaluate your status with your surgeon. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast Assymetry and Augmentation

+3

Do nothing for 6 months at least.  You actually look quite good and you surgeon made a reasonable decision possible.  Augmentation does not increase assymmetry, it decreases it if you consider volume.   If the difference is 50cc to start and you add 500 to each side then the 50 cc is a smaller % of total and therefore possibly less significant.  It will take time to tell.  Ideally you should wiat a year but 6 months may do?    Good Luck.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Looking at your pictures, I think that you have a very acceptable result. You are only one week post-op so it is a little early to make any final decisions. The asymmetry looks like it was improved with the breast augmentation. There are always minor differences as one side of our bodies is bigger than the other. Overall, I think you have achieved a very nice result.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Asymmetry Before Implants and Asymmetry After Implants

+2

I will start out by saying that based on your preoperative pictures, your results at one week are very good. You had obvious asymmetry preoperatively and to get the result you have at one week is in my opinion beyond acceptable. That being said, just as surgical successes shouldn't be based on early photos, neither should any perceived shortcomings. I recommend you wait at least 6 months before addressing whether anything needs to be done with the breasts.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Re: Is There Anything That Can Be Done for my Asymmetrical Implants?

+2

A week is a bit early to determine how the breasts will adjust. Allow at least 12 weeks for the breasts to settle and to give you and a board-certified surgeon a better idea of the final outcome of the augmentation.

Sam Speron, MD

Breast augmentation will "magnify" pre-existing assymetry

+2

Hi Calabria79,

I would have suggested you have a breast lift at the same time.  Perhaps this was discussed.  Some patients prefer not to have a breast lift because of the scar and this is undertstandable.  The reasons to have a lift are twofold:  number one you a lift and number two it would help address the nipple position asymmetry.  Keep in mind that any breast asymmetry you have prior to breast augmentation will be magnified after breast augmentation.  You are very early post-op; give yourself at least 3 months and then see how you feel about the asymmetry.  If it still bothers you, discuss it with your plastic surgeon.  And for everyone, please ask a lot of questions prior to surgery.  For example, what will be the effect of the implants on my asymmetry? would help in this case.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast Implant and Asymmetry

+2

As you know, breast asymmetry is normal in most women before and even after surgery. However, your outcome could have been improved by the addition of breast lift (Mastopexy). Breast lift can still be performed after breast implant. A lot of patients will chose not to add breast lift during augmentation due to the additional cost.

Since your surgery was just 1 week ago, I would recommend waiting for the implants to settle down before making any decision.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Breast Augmentation will NOT Lift sagging breasts

+2

Regarding: "Is There Anything That Can Be Done for my Asymmetrical Implants?
I had a BA 1 wk ago. I had asymmetry preop. My PS didn't want to use 2 diff. cc amounts because he felt it would only create uneven upper pole fullness. So now I just have a magnified version of before. My upper chest is symmetrical and looks good. The right hangs lower, is fuller and projects more but the nipples are even. What can be done to fix my asymmetry,if anything? Thanks
!"

Sometimes I am surprised at the biblical rush for judgment exhibited by some of my colleagues when reviewing another ?colleague's work. Since none of us were in consultation room or in the OR it is more than presumptuous to freely condemn a colleague without really knowing what was discussed between you and the surgeon.

As sure as every woman has a least one X chromosome, each has breast asymmetry. The vast majority do not recognize it because they are not photographed as they are in our offices and every details is scrutinized, but they have asymmetry nonetheless. The asymmetry can be in breast size, breast location, breast shape, nipple / areola size, nipple / areola location, nipple / areola shape or a combination of the above.

Your breast asymmetry was obviously discussed BEFORE surgery. Were you offered a Breast Lift at any time? A Breast Lift, especially, a Hall-Findlay type lift would have resulted in fuller, perkier more matching breasts and WOULD have narrowed if not eliminated, the breast asymmetry.

Instead, choosing to AUGMENT the breast instead, did EXACTLY what you stated. It created "a magnified version of before". There is NO surprise here. Placing the same balloon into differently shaped breasts CANNOT make them look closer in appearance, it just magnifies the asymmetry.

As Plastic surgeons as see this mistake ALL THE TIME. Women insist they do not want a scar on their breasts, regardless of how disparate they look and insist on large implant to "lift" the breasts. The results are uniformly disappointing and even harder to fix the next go around.

I think you should allow things to settle down for up to 6 months. Then, if you are still unhappy, you should consider a differential breast lift procedure with a lollipop scar.

Dr. Peter Aldea