Asymmetrical Face After Sculptra 2 Vials Total 6 Wks Apart?

Had consultation with Estheticians for Sculptra. The doctor performed sculptra injection 2 vial total 6wks apart (1 vial each visit). Had 6 wk follow up, did not notice any changes until the doctor pointed out that my face was asymmetrical and would need 1 more vial of sculptra on the right side of my face. Please advise on how to move forward to create more symmetry as well as hollow under eyes. Last sculptra injection was December 14, 2012. Photos after f/u appt. Thanks Viola.

Sculptra

+1

Everyone has some facial asymmetry to begin with.  It is important to take good photos prior to any treatment.  I would recommend that you review before and after photos with your provider. 

Asymmetrical Face After Sculptra

+1

Thank you for your question. You should evaluate your photos pre-Sculptra to see if you asymmetrical before injections.  If the symmetry irregularity is slight minor, or not an issue with you, why inject?  What you see into eh mirror is what is important.  As providers, we can offer opinions, but ultimately, your opinion is the one that is most important. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Asymmetrical Face and Sculptra

+1

It is common to have facial asymmetry before undergoing any procedure.  Often your provider will show you asymmetries prior to surgical and nonsurgical treatments.  Sculptra can be used for facial rejuvenation as well as to improve facial symmetry.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after sculptra injections to the face

+1

Most Plastic Surgeons take pictures prior to any treatment and review the pictures with their patient before beginning treatment.  As noted by my colleague, there is some degree of asymmetry in all faces and these asymmetries can be improved but never corrected 100%. 

Another vial of sculptra to the smaller side is reasonable but do not expect the sides to corrected perfectly. 

Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical face after Sculptra

+1

Each physician may have their own guidelines they follow with Sculptra where they obtain the best results. In general, Sculptra provides the most benefits when injected over multiple treatments, and the treatment sessions are generally spaced around four weeks apart. It really depends on:

1)  The areas addressed
2)  The amount of volume loss.
3)  The patient's individual goals

It is difficult to obtain 100% symmetry, but improvements can be made to have your result appear as symmetric as possible. A touch up will help, and this is the best thing you can do moving forward. Communicate with your physician, as they will be able to give you the most accurate advice. And it is not abnormal to see little change after 6 weeks, as Sculptra can take some time to take effect. In general, Sculptra is not the best filler for under the eyes. Ask your provider about filling in the tear trough with Restylane, it works very well for that area. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical face after Sculptra

+1

It is not uncommon to have some natural asymmetry to the face.  When this does occur, treatment with Sculptra (or any other filler) can be individualized to attempt to make the face more symmetric.  In order to achieve this, sometimes more Sculptra would need to be placed on one side more than the other.  I'm not clear if your face was asymmetrical before your Sculptra treatments or not, but it does not seem unreasonable to have a third treatment done.  I would not recommend using Sculptra to treat hollows under the eyes, as the skin there is very thin and irregularity can develop there after treatment with Sculptra.  I would recommend using Restylane instead for under the eyes.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon