Can Asymmetrical Eyes Be Corrected? (photo)

Hi, I'm wondering if the shape of one of my eyes can be adjusted. My left one is significantly larger and more distorted than the other. Looking back, I've always had some degree of asymmetry in my eyes, but as I've gotten older (I'm in my late teens now) it's gotten almost ridiculous. Also, my left cheek is considerably more defined than the right, which is more flat. I was thinking that possibly these two asymmetries could have a related cause? Thank you in advance.

Facial asymmetry is often related to skeletal asymmetry

+1

The photo you provided does not contain enough visual information to render an opinion. In general, our faces are asymmetric. This is, in part, due to the fact that each side of our face develops independently in-utero, and then fuses together during fetal development. Differences in eye shape and position are likely related to differences in the shape and position of the bones that make up the orbit. Some times, these differences can be concealed with fat grafting techniques or facial implants.

Can Asymmetrical Eyes Be Corrected?

+1

This depends on the cause. Majority of asymmetric eyes are the result of natural asymmetry of the face which is common in all patients. The eye on the short side of the face and body, appears smaller. Occasionally, brow lift can "open" the smaller eye by lifting the brow more on that side. Other, rare causes should also be considered.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric eyes

+1

It is difficult to assess your problem with the cropped 2D photo posted. You appear to have one eye more "bulgy" or proptotic than the other.  Consider seeing an oculoplastic specialist to find out the exact cause for your asymmetry. There are nonsurgical and surgical options for better eyelid symmetry.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

A personal consultation is really necessary to provide a detailed answer.

+1

However from your photographs, I agree you have slight asymmetry.  An examination would establish the precise degree of asymmetry and it might be worth while to determine the precise basis of this.  However, it is improbable that surgery will be satisfactory for improving this small difference.  The photograph you provide has axial and barrel magnification which tends to exaggerate the eye area.  Overall, your eyes a beautiful and it is most unlikely that anyone would be able to address the asymmetry without degrading your appearance.  If you find yourself spending many hours a day thinking about these issues or avoid social situations because you are concerned that others make fun of you because of your appearance, it is possible that this issue has become the focus of body dysmorphic disorder.  Working with a therapist can be helpful in providing insight into these feels.  Please be careful out there.